Jolly rancher wine - please don't hate me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
Hello dear friends.

I'll cut right to the chase: I want to make a Jolly Rancher wine. And not just any Jolly Rancher wine, but a blue raspberry one to boot. From looking at the nutrition info label, I find that three Jolly Ranchers contain 11 grams of sugar. There are 454 grams in a pound, and if I want my starting gravity to be about 1.100, then I will need 2.17 pounds, or 987 grams, of sugar. So, to get that sugar from Jolly Ranchers alone, I would need a whopping 270 blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers. That seems like an insanely high number. Did I do something wrong (in my calculations alone, please)? Now, once I nail down the precise number of Ranchers needed, my plan is to boil them into a syrup and combine it with enough water to fill a one-gallon carboy. I'll probably toss in some yeast nutrient, seeing as Jolly Ranchers are devoid of everything God gave to nature. Then, I'll add the yeast and watch the magic happen.

Thoughts?

It may be an insanely high number but given the information you provide you will need 270 of those candies for each gallon. Of course, there is no law that demands that if you make a wine you must make at least one gallon. You could aim to make a quart and so you would need 67 or 68 of those candies.:oops:

It won't be wine, more like prison hooch. If you go through with it and it doesn't turn out how you expected, you might try distilling it. Also, you need to add nutrients for the yeast to finish the job.

Wow that sounds really interesting! Personally, I'd use a different flavor (to each their own), but that's because that's my own taste. Make wine you want to taste! đź‘Ť It is so wonderful to be able to try out new flavors - definitely keep trying out new things, and discovering if they are good, bad, or in between! Where can you get 270 of the same flavor of Jolly Ranchers?!

Your math looks accurate. As others have mentioned, definitely add nutrient, and maybe some acid blend depending on the pH of the concoction. I really hope it turns out a brilliant azure hue! Keep us posted!

Hell yeah. Awesome idea.

Edit: my grandfather in WWll was a POW guard and had repeatedly busted some of the German prisoners with wine they were making with sugar cubes and various candies. He said he enjoyed drinking it lol.

-Make a gallon of mead and toss in 60-70 jolly ranchers and dump in some raspberry flavoring, or just skip the jolly ranchers and add some blue color to your mead.

Back