Jolly Rancher Wine: A Progress Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
Five months ago, I posted about my idea for a Jolly Rancher wine involving 270 candies melted down and fermented. Well, three weeks back, I went ahead and actually made the unholy beast. I bought 2 pounds worth of blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers, melted them down into a syrup, and added enough water to fill a carboy. I then added Lalvin 71-B along with some DAP (my Fermaid O hasn't yet come in the mail), and BOOM, fermentation has been underway ever since. The only negative I have observed thus far is the putrid hydrogen sulfide/rotten egg smell emanating from the airlock. I attribute that fault to the lack of nutrients in the Jolly Rancher must; the yeast are probably stressed as hell working through that candy. I will post here when I finally taste my creation.

I made a Lemon Jolly Rancher one a few years ago. It turned out pretty good. Couldn't tell it was from candy; wasn't great, wasn't bad either. Just a very unique wine. You'll enjoy it. How many gallons for 270? 3 Gal?

I made a Lemon Jolly Rancher one a few years ago. It turned out pretty good. Couldn't tell it was from candy; wasn't great, wasn't bad either. Just a very unique wine. You'll enjoy it. How many gallons for 270? 3 Gal?
One gallon, my friend! The majority of fermentable sugar came from the Jolly Ranchers.

Back