Jolly Rancher IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is awesome! I don't have enough time in the week to brew all the beers I want to make - and now this one! :) I've had a pound of El Dorado and now here's a perfect recipe for it. thanks for sharing m00ps. :mug:

So I've made this 3 times now and the yeast strain is pretty key. The second time I made it, I switched to Conan and got higher attenuation. Maybe it was just better at fermenting the god-knows-what in the candies because it didnt have that some not-sweet, candy-like finish. So basically a normal session IPA

The most recent one I switched back to 1318 and it came out perfect. Used El dorado and Azzaca with a bit of citra in teh keg because I only use whole leaf hops in the keg. I cut the cane sugar to 1/2lb and added 1oz of oats for some of the 2row.

Hey m00ps thanks for posting your recipe and results here for us.

I milled some grains yesterday wanting to do a Watermelon pale ale, before realizing watermelons are no where to be found here yet, I ran across this thread today and decided what the heck ill try this instead. So I saw last time you opted to use roughly 60 candies? did you like this outcome or would you suggest more or fewer? I think I'm going to try the Blue raspberry just because that is my favorite jolly rancher. I have a bunch of el dorado, citra and mosaic and some galaxy on hand so ill probably play with some or all of those.

Im all set to give this a whirl:ban:
j6rgwj.jpg

Hey m00ps thanks for posting your recipe and results here for us.

I milled some grains yesterday wanting to do a Watermelon pale ale, before realizing watermelons are no where to be found here yet, I ran across this thread today and decided what the heck ill try this instead. So I saw last time you opted to use roughly 60 candies? did you like this outcome or would you suggest more or fewer? I think I'm going to try the Blue raspberry just because that is my favorite jolly rancher. I have a bunch of el dorado, citra and mosaic and some galaxy on hand so ill probably play with some or all of those.

Im all set to give this a whirl:ban:
j6rgwj.jpg

Yeah it was somewhere between 60 and 70. It was 1 and 1/2 of those resealable bags that are like 13oz or something.

The amount of flavor is great from this amount. It smells very candy-like, but the taste is all hops, then the finish you definitely can taste it again. Im not sure what it would be like in a less hoppy pale ale, but it wont be overpowering or anything.

Like with honey, most of what you might expect to tastes gets fermented out. I wonder what the color would be like using blue raspberry. Ive never got much of a noticeable color change from mine, but I've only used red ones

Hey m00ps thanks for the reply, I brewed on Saturday and hit a 1.060 OG my SRM is pretty low as well coming in about 4-6 so I'll be very interested to see if the color will change at all. I did revise my hopping schedule a bit before brewing and did el dorado and mosaic and hit 67 ibus, nothing crazy but wanted to be more in the IPA category. I will be adding the jolly ranchers tonight after work. I will keep the thread updated on my batch. Again thanks for the reply and this crazy idea !!!

m00ps, I'm going to brew this on Memorial Day I think, if I can get all my stuff. I'm doing your extract version (hopefully my last extract beer). I had a question about steeping the honey malt. IIRC, you mentioned to steep it at 160 for ~20 mins and then add that to the kettle. Can I just steep it in the kettle, as long as I keep the temp around 160 for the 20 minutes, then ramp up the heat and proceed with the boil? Didn't think that would be an issue, just checking.

Also, are you using summER or summIT hops? I wasn't sure which one. Finally, you're recommending the WY1318 yeast for this instead of Conan, yes? Thanks brother.

m00ps, I'm going to brew this on Memorial Day I think, if I can get all my stuff. I'm doing your extract version (hopefully my last extract beer). I had a question about steeping the honey malt. IIRC, you mentioned to steep it at 160 for ~20 mins and then add that to the kettle. Can I just steep it in the kettle, as long as I keep the temp around 160 for the 20 minutes, then ramp up the heat and proceed with the boil? Didn't think that would be an issue, just checking.

Also, are you using summER or summIT hops? I wasn't sure which one. Finally, you're recommending the WY1318 yeast for this instead of Conan, yes? Thanks brother.

So you are asking about extract with steeping grains vs partial mash right? In partial mash, you actually mash the specialty malts with some base malt are the normal mash temp (150 in this case) to get conversion and then add that to the kettle. For an extract method with steeping grains, I would think that you could do what you described as long as your can remove the specialty grains before you start heating to boil. I would look at some directions elsewhere or kit instructions at northern brewer for their extract kits and see what they say

This one uses summer hops. But you could easily substitute any fruity hop for it. Last one I did used azzaca instead and it was great. Summit would be too aggressive and usually has that dank/onion/garlic thing going on in addition to its orange so I wouldnt use it here.

And yeah, for the yeast, ive tried this with Conan and WY1318. Conan was too highly attenuative (normally good for IPAs), but for this low an abv, it ended up not being as well rounded as I wanted. So I would definitely use wy1318 or some other fruity english strain

So you are asking about extract with steeping grains vs partial mash right? In partial mash, you actually mash the specialty malts with some base malt are the normal mash temp (150 in this case) to get conversion and then add that to the kettle. For an extract method with steeping grains, I would think that you could do what you described as long as your can remove the specialty grains before you start heating to boil. I would look at some directions elsewhere or kit instructions at northern brewer for their extract kits and see what they say

This one uses summer hops. But you could easily substitute any fruity hop for it. Last one I did used azzaca instead and it was great. Summit would be too aggressive and usually has that dank/onion/garlic thing going on in addition to its orange so I wouldnt use it here.

And yeah, for the yeast, ive tried this with Conan and WY1318. Conan was too highly attenuative (normally good for IPAs), but for this low an abv, it ended up not being as well rounded as I wanted. So I would definitely use wy1318 or some other fruity english strain
Thanks for the info. Change of plans. Think I'm doing my first AG beer!

m00ps, I read where you used whatever bittering hop you had on hand, but what did you end up using? I'm thinking of going with Warrior.

Ok :) Well I used Warrior, Eldorado, Citra, and Mosaic. Settled for Wyeast American Ale since my LHBS didn't have 1318. Going to use red candies. I hope this turns out well; I've never done a hopstand before.

I'm going to try something similar to this soon using lemonheads instead of jolly ranchers. I have 8oz of Lemondrop hops that will also go into this. I thought I remembered someone else on this thread saying they were going to use lemonheads but I looked back and didn't see it.

For what it's worth: NEVER use Lemonheads candy in any beer. That stuff is freaking GROSS in beer. Two dumped batches earlier this year taught me that lesson.

Carry on...

For what it's worth: NEVER use Lemonheads candy in any beer. That stuff is freaking GROSS in beer. Two dumped batches earlier this year taught me that lesson.

Carry on...

a couple years ago I used skittles for a wine. just boiled the water and skittles, then stuck it in the freezer for a bit and scraped off the wax layer, I wonder if you could use the same approach with the lemonheads.

a couple years ago I used skittles for a wine. just boiled the water and skittles, then stuck it in the freezer for a bit and scraped off the wax layer, I wonder if you could use the same approach with the lemonheads.

Hey, if someone wants to test that out I say good for them. For me it's not worth another dumped batch.

Reviving this thread. Anyone try using s-05 on this recipe? I just ordered 1lb of watermelon Jolly Ranchers and am excited to give this a shot.

IMG_1534205601.621352.jpg

Still trying to figure out my plan of attack for dry hoping but this is my version I whipped together with what I had on hand. I did without my corn sugar addition cuz my efficiency was really well without it and hitting my PBG and then monitoring the boil and approaching the OG towards the end of the boil.

Back