Johnson temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewbie12

Reaction score
I am trying to hook up a prewired A419 Johnson temp controller to my chest freezer. My question is what setting do I set the factory temp controller to when I plug this in? Im going to be putting a Blond Ale in to ferment so what is a good temp for this style of beer? I have read that 65-68 is a ideal temp to ferment at. The directions are kind of confusing or maybe im just dumb..

I am trying to hook up a prewired A419 Johnson temp controller to my chest freezer. My question is what setting do I set the factory temp controller to when I plug this in? Im going to be putting a Blond Ale in to ferment so what is a good temp for this style of beer? I have read that 65-68 is a ideal temp to ferment at. The directions are kind of confusing or maybe im just dumb..

All depends on the yeast...also for the Johnson Controller when you plug it in hold down the menu button for 5 seconds and use make the set point at whatever temp you need. Hope this helps!

Yeast is us 05. I have my fermenting bucket filled with room temp water to test before I start using. I have my set point at 67. I have the differential set at 2. Now what I don't understand is what the temp offset and anti-short cycle delay is used for.

Range for that yeast is 59-71 ish, so you are on the high side of that. I would put it to 65, at least, but that is just me and I don't use US-05 often. Someone will chime in with a specific answer.

As for the ASD, it prevents the compressor in your fridge from cycling on and off frequently which over time will damage it. I have mine set to 5 on my ferm chamber and 10 on my kegerator. It's your call on what you can live with, bit I would go at least 3 or 4.

Set the Offset to 0.

Range for that yeast is 59-71 ish, so you are on the high side of that. I would put it to 65, at least, but that is just me and I don't use US-05 often. Someone will chime in with a specific answer.

As for the ASD, it prevents the compressor in your fridge from cycling on and off frequently which over time will damage it. I have mine set to 5 on my ferm chamber and 10 on my kegerator. It's your call on what you can live with, bit I would go at least 3 or 4.

Set the Offset to 0.

OK thank you very much now it's starting to make a little since. As far as the differential that's the difference in temp correct? Depending on what it's set at. Like if I have it at 65 with the diff. set at 2 it won't go higher than 67, or am I wrong on that.

I just went and checked on it and it's reading 63. I'm wondering if I put the probe correctly on the side of my fermenting bucket. I used a piece of the bubble wrap from the JTC box with some elect tape holding it there.

I also have a refrigerator thermometer sitting in the freezer and the temp in the freezer is like 30 I'm guessing that's normal or not.

I set my differential to 3. Any closer and I find that it swings too far to the cold side.

As for the probe attachment, I can't help you there as I have mine clamped to an empty beer bottle sitting on the bottom of the freezer. The probe just hangs in ambient air. I have a mechanical thermometer stuck in the bottle just for reference.

I believe on that controller it will come on at set point 67 and turn off at set point 67 - deviation 3. So on at 67 off at 64. Watch the first cycle to confirm. Your yeast package should have the fermentation temp indicated.

I always use ambient temp in my freezer and don't bother taping the probe for 05, which I use a lot, (just pitched some last night in fact.) I usually set my freezer at 62°F ambient. It always results in a clean tasting beer & I have never come across the peach flavor some people complain about at lower temps with 05

Thanks for the help guys. I checked it this morning and with it set to 65 the water in the bucket was at 62. What should I use to get rid of the humidity in the freezer or do I need to worry about that.

so I checked it when I got home this evening and the ambient temp is 58 with the water in the bucket at 60. What I don't understand is that the controller says 62? I guess I need to invest in something to heat it up a bit.

Latest posts

Back