Johnson controls A19 probe/bulb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepmarine71

Reaction score
I got a temp conroller for cheap on ebay to use for fermentation, the analog johnson controls a19abc-24C model, i can wire it up but there is no temp probe/bulb on the end of the wire. I searched online but did not have much luck, anyone have any info or links to help? Can i use any old "bulb" from an old air conditioner or can i go by a local hvac buisness and buy one there or must it me a factory JC probe? Im not sure.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the bulb is a part of the internal switch assembly. It's actually a gas filled tube and the gas changes pressure with temperature changes. I don't think it's replaceable and I don't think you can snag one from another appliance. The bulb and switch are the heart of the controller. I'm afraid whoever sold you that controller ripped you off unless you were told in advance that it wasn't functional. I could be completely wrong on this, so maybe someone else will speak up if so.

You got a bad deal, because the controller is junk. You cant just replace a bulb, which is why you cannot just buy a bulb.

I do not beleive that it is replaceable like a thermocouple, or the probe on the A419. It isnt electrical, it is a pressure bulb, the controller is worthless.

This makes me feel real good...I think I bought the same one off ebay. $20 right? With $7 shipping?

I'll let you know if mine has the same issue when it arrives.

Unfortunately I do not see it online anymore...It was from a guy in Crystal Lake, IL. The guy only had 7 left when I bought mine. Hopefully it arrives today and I can find out if mine is also bad. Here is what information I do have:

analog johnson controls A19ABC-24C model
$20 + $7 shipping

The guy had 100% feedback on about 150 reviews...I'm pretty picky on who I buy from and didn't hesitate on this one due to the amount of great reviews. Looks like we'll see

It's possible that he did not know the bulb was missing. I just bought something on EBAY from a power seller with 30,000 reviews mostly positive. Wrong! They sucked. I left a negative feedback and they sent me a message removing my 1 year warranty unless I pulled the negative feedback, sounds a bit fraudulent to me. I don't much like EBAY.

It's possible that he did not know the bulb was missing. I just bought something on EBAY from a power seller with 30,000 reviews mostly positive. Wrong! They sucked. I left a negative feedback and they sent me a message removing my 1 year warranty unless I pulled the negative feedback, sounds a bit fraudulent to me. I don't much like EBAY.

WTH! Are you serious? Remove the negative feedback or they will pull your warranty... well, now you REALLY have something to place in your review.

Nothing that was posted above leads me to beleive that your A19 doesnt have a bulb, apparently the OP recieved his, maybe he can tell us if this is the same vendor/item.

The link isn't opening for me, but yeah it said New in Box. and the picture had the bulb.

I wish the OP would chime in with who he bought his from... because his is worthless. Yours may be fine.

That's assuming he actually got a A19ABC-24C. There are other models that have the bulb integrated into the housing for when the controller will be inside the conditioned space like a walk-in.

That's assuming he actually got a A19ABC-24C. There are other models that have the bulb integrated into the housing for when the controller will be inside the conditioned space like a walk-in.

True, but they have a coil on the top, generally, that comes out, coils around, and then back in. They use only the capillary tube, and no bulb persay. He said he has a capillary tube, but no bulb on the end of it. Wish he would come back!

Just got the mail today, no controller yet. Looks like I'll hope for tomorrow. Or maybe the OP will come back and shed some light...

Thought I'd give an update on this one, I received my temp control yesterday. It appears perfectly normal. Guess OP just got a bad one.

Back