Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this thread I decided to give JAOM a try. I followed the directions to a tee except I doubled it because I used a Mr. Beer keg to ferment in.

I also made a mistake and forgot to shake it before adding the yeast.

I am using a Mr. Beer LBK for this because I did not want to tie up my 1 gallon jug for 2 months. I kind of regret that decision now because I cannot really watch the fermentation as easily. I have to shine a lite on it to really see how things look. It's been going for about 2 weeks now. My plan is to put it away and forget about it for a while now.

Dave

I also made a mistake and forgot to shake it before adding the yeast.

This may not be a huge mistake for this recipe. Not sure how you would even know if there were stressed off flavors in this because the honey flavor really sticks around. I'd say don't worry.

I kind of regret that decision now because I cannot really watch the fermentation as easily.

HAHA...with this, nothing to watch. Other than the clearing part, since those fermenters are colored, you might not be able to see it finally drop around the 2-2.5month stage. I would just go with, at 3 months move it to something see through and see if it has cleared up. (I have a few of those one gallon Gallo wine bottles for this step.)

My plan is to put it away and forget about it for a while now.

YOU DID READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! LOL. Yep, forget about it for a while. I was just as 'new dad' with my first batch of this as I was for my first few beers. At least a few batches in now and its old hat. :mug:

This may not be a huge mistake for this recipe. Not sure how you would even know if there were stressed off flavors in this because the honey flavor really sticks around. I'd say don't worry.

HAHA...with this, nothing to watch. Other than the clearing part, since those fermenters are colored, you might not be able to see it finally drop around the 2-2.5month stage. I would just go with, at 3 months move it to something see through and see if it has cleared up. (I have a few of those one gallon Gallo wine bottles for this step.)

YOU DID READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! LOL. Yep, forget about it for a while. I was just as 'new dad' with my first batch of this as I was for my first few beers. At least a few batches in now and its old hat. :mug:

Yeasties are reproducing (asexually albeit). Do you think they want some dude messing with their apartment while they are (not) getting it on? Leave em alone. :fro:

Is it a bad thing I threw a dried habanero in my latest batch?:D

I've heard about, seen, and even done some pretty bad things in my life. This is by far the worst :D

I did the same thing on my last batch, except mine was fresh. It's probably ready now, curious if I got any spice from it or if it just gave it a vegetal flavor...or none of the above

I've heard about, seen, and even done some pretty bad things in my life. This is by far the worst :D

I did the same thing on my last batch, except mine was fresh. It's probably ready now, curious if I got any spice from it or if it just gave it a vegetal flavor...or none of the above

Both the habanero infused honey and chipotle infused honey are ready some time soon. I'll post pics and review in a week when I bottle, but they will still be young at that point.

So I made my first batch of this on 9-23. I went away for the weekend and when I came home it had magically cleared. It's not "read-through" clear yet, but it is definitely clear enough that I can see all through the carboy and see the oranges/raisins on the other side as well as all of the yeast cake.

That seems really early to me - I know the recipe says that when it clears it's finished - but I'm assuming I should still leave this alone for a while, considering it's only a little less than a month old?

Thanks!

Did your house get colder than normal while you were away? Even a few degrees can help yeast to drop when they've been done for that long. You could bottle condition if you wanted the carboy for something else (another batch?)

Did your house get colder than normal while you were away? Even a few degrees can help yeast to drop when they've been done for that long. You could bottle condition if you wanted the carboy for something else (another batch?)

Im CreamyGoodness and I approve this message.

started my 1g batch about a month ago. I hadn't checked on it in several weeks. It's cleared quite a bit but I have this "crud" all over the fruit and the neck or the jar. OK?

Only thing I did differently from the original recipe was to rinse the jug in Starsan before I started (it felt wrong not doing this) and I cut the rinds off of not quite half of the orange slices.

I guess this is/was just the krausen?

joam.jpg

started my 1g batch about a month ago. I hadn't checked on it in several weeks. It's cleared quite a bit but I have this "crud" all over the fruit and the neck or the jar. OK?

Only thing I did differently from the original recipe was to rinse the jug in Starsan before I started (it felt wrong not doing this) and I cut the rinds off of not quite half of the orange slices.

I guess this is/was just the krausen?

joam.jpg

Yup that's fine. it can even get a little gritty/loamy on the neck sometimes.

So I made a couple batches of this back in 2012. The first one smelled good but tasted like rocket fuel so after a while I threw it out (I think, it might be in bottles somewhere).

After playing around in my basement I noticed the second batch still sitting there so I figured what the heck, let's give the 3 year old batch a try. Again smelled good but holy crap, after two sips I think I'm drunk. Again tasted like rocket fuel/rubbing alcohol.

I'm guessing my volumes were too low (haven't checked the instructions since I brewed it but thinking I was supposed to top off with water) which made it way stronger than it's supposed to have been. But if anyone wants to get drunk fast, this is the stuff!

So I made a couple batches of this back in 2012. The first one smelled good but tasted like rocket fuel so after a while I threw it out (I think, it might be in bottles somewhere).

After playing around in my basement I noticed the second batch still sitting there so I figured what the heck, let's give the 3 year old batch a try. Again smelled good but holy crap, after two sips I think I'm drunk. Again tasted like rocket fuel/rubbing alcohol.

I'm guessing my volumes were too low (haven't checked the instructions since I brewed it but thinking I was supposed to top off with water) which made it way stronger than it's supposed to have been. But if anyone wants to get drunk fast, this is the stuff!

More likely you fermented too hot and fast. Another thing would be if you used a bread yeast, if you did not you would have to back sweeten.

I am drinking mine as I am bottling them. Plenty tasty, and get better with age.

More likely you fermented too hot and fast. Another thing would be if you used a bread yeast, if you did not you would have to back sweeten.

I am drinking mine as I am bottling them. Plenty tasty, and get better with age.

Agree about fermenting too hot.

Bread yeast is the same as beer yeast, it just hasn't been bred to be alcohol tolerant, but it seems to have quite a tolerance anyway. Not all beer yeasts have a high tolerance, just the most popular ones.

So I have 5 gallons that has been sitting in the secondary for almost 6 months now and every time I look at it the yeast and everything that has settled at the bottom stirs up. What does everyone do to prevent or minimize this during transfer? I've done several 1 gallon batches and never really bothered cause its was a pain with only one gallon but I'd like to with this since I want to give some bottles away next year to friends and family.

So I have 5 gallons that has been sitting in the secondary for almost 6 months now and every time I look at it the yeast and everything that has settled at the bottom stirs up. What does everyone do to prevent or minimize this during transfer? I've done several 1 gallon batches and never really bothered cause its was a pain with only one gallon but I'd like to with this since I want to give some bottles away next year to friends and family.

Yeah, this stuff is very light and floaty. I would try putting the carboy in the location you would use like a day or two a head to let it resettle.

With all my one gallon batches so far I have just racked to a secondary for another month. Makes it a bit easier, but still end up with stuff in the bottles.

What yeast did you use? I believe I used red-star. Not sure if different bread yeast flocculate differently? Hmmm.....

I followed the original recipe and plan on dividing this into two separated batched so I can use an oak spiral in one half and see how that comes out.

I followed the recipe as described. I plan on splitting the batch and adding an oak spiral to one batch.

I'm splitting the back in 2 to 3 gallon carboys and going to a gym that way. One without the oak spiral and then one with the of spiral and see how they both come out

I used Fleishmann’s bread yeast. I never thought about too hot of fermentation. Do others ferment in an ice bucket or ferm chamber similar to beer?

Too hot is all a matter of perspective. If you are getting high amounts of yeast characteristics (it smells like bread proofing) then to me that's too hot. Also, if the yeast ferments out of range you can get more fusel alcohols (hot alcohol). This shouldn't drink like a spirit as the yeast isn't tolerant to make that high of an alcohol content.

For me, I keep it below 70f and I'm happy.

I just started a batch of this on Friday and managed to forget the raisins. Those are for nutrients as I understand. Can I just toss them in now and hope for a good result? Looked like it was foaming up to start with so so far so good.

I just started a batch of this on Friday and managed to forget the raisins. Those are for nutrients as I understand. Can I just toss them in now and hope for a good result? Looked like it was foaming up to start with so so far so good.

I would go ahead and do it, but usually yeast needs about 24-48hrs to get through it's growth cycle, so could already be past? I'd guess about same for meads.

Yeah Id toss them in. If it were me I'd give the stopper or the balloon a spritz of starsan, but that's more a feel-good gesture than anything.

I went and tossed the raisins in and there seemed like there was still a decent amount of activity. Hopefully the yeast will take my generous gift of nutrients and continue multiplying.

Hi,

I am a total Newbie, I started two one gallon batches of Mead five weeks ago. (before buying a hydrometer) One batch is still clearly fermenting, with a bubbling airlock and lots of bubbling in the carboy. I used a basic 1 gallon Mead recipe & mead yeast in that batch.

The other is Joe's Ancient Orange recipe. (I followed it exactly) There has been no bubbling in the airlock for a week & no visible bubbles in the brew, its also gotten much clearer. Does this mean its finished or stauled?

I have no problem waiting, but I know the recipe is designed to be a quick mead, but 5 weeks seems too fast. Here is a picture.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers

IMG_20151129_010748.jpg

Back