JK Black Cherry Juice Wine Primary Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Jack Keller has a recipe for black cherry juice wine that I want to make.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request116.asp

The few other wines I've made, there have been fruit solids that needed to be immersed in the wine during the beginning of fermentation, and therefore I used a cooking pot as a primary. However, the black cherry juice wine does not involve any whole fruit at all. Can I therefore simply start this wine in a jug with an airlock? Or is semi-open fermentation important in some way for wines during initial stages of fermentation, such that I should also use a cooking pot as a primary vessel?

People do it both ways, but I always use a wide mouth bucket with at least one gallon headspace as the primary, keep it covered with towel or just rest lid on top. The yeast love the access to oxygen at this point, plus you can stir the wine twice a day not to mention simple access if you need to feed it nutrient or more sugar. Once SG drops by 2/3 I then transfer to carboy and apply airlock.

If making 1 gal batch you can also score free food grade buckets from deli section at grocery...many use 2 gallon buckets of frosting or pie filling.

Latest posts

Back