Jellyfish in the fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo1usa

15 is my limit on schnitzengruben.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I wanted to share these pics.
For an unknown (or maybe known) reason, my last two batches have produced these cool Jellyfish in the fermenter after pitching.

I presume they're some kind of break protein globules...the last time it was just one mammoth floating blob...space alien in the beer!

They ferment fine; after few hours krausen begins to show, airlock starts poppin' and by day two they've broken down and become swirling fermentatiousness. Yep I said it...fermentatiousness.

Used WLP001 Pure Pitch both times pitched at 65*.
No starter.
I have many times before. Never with the jellies though.

All Grain; not too heady batches~1.054 OG.
The one thing I changed before this phenomenon began: Hopstands.
For these two batches only I stopped chilling at 175* and did a 30 min hopstand, then chilled to 65* pretty fast (~15 mins).
Could it be a result of the paused chilling process?

Just curious, the beer always comes out fine.

Thanks,
Bill

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

They are just coagulated proteins. First time I saw it was with a brew that used some czech pils. That stuff really coagulated. Looked like a bunch of cauliflour in the fermenter. Clearest beer I ever made.

image.jpeg

If you want some weird looking fermentations try making a rye beer. Looks like a human brain! Some folks would never drink a beer if they saw what fermentation looked like! :D

Some folks would never drink a beer if they saw what fermentation looked like! :D

Well you know what they say about laws and sausages... and apparently beer fits that as well. Some of those amazing pellicles that result in delicious sour beer, or the grey, mushy fruit left at the bottom of the barrel... yeahhhh.

All that coagulated protein should lead to a nice clear finished beer.

Do you use Irish Moss?

Whirlfloc.

"All that coagulated protein should lead to a nice clear finished beer. "

You're right!
The Beer was super clear, even right after racking to the fermenter, and now has cleared even more after just a couple days of fermentation.
It looks amazing. :D

Whirlfloc.

"All that coagulated protein should lead to a nice clear finished beer. "

You're right!
The Beer was super clear, even right after racking to the fermenter, and now has cleared even more after just a couple days of fermentation.
It looks amazing. :D

What I see looks like cold break. Hot break is very fine, and it reminds me of egg drop soup.

It's all good, as it's better for them to coagulate and fall out than clouding your beer via chill haze.

I've always used buckets, and I don't check on my beers too often, so my examples of what all this gunk looks like is from you people. That said, I had a freaky example the other day, and I posted it to this forum. Luckily, everyone talked me down from calling a priest and dumping it.

8haeOqs.jpg

I thought this was going to be another "mouse in the carboy" thread... :D

I've had similar looking results occasionally when I use Whirlfloc. It settles out and looks fine.

I had the same exact thing about a month ago. A giant phlegm wad floating around. It was definitely the whirlfloc tab that caused that coagulation. Beer went into the keg crystal clear last week with my gravity readings spot on.

Back