Jelly Tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IVeladRiENtArtHeMaNaRMiTh

Cider House Rules
Reaction score
Recently I've been into making ciders, but wanted to start adding cinnamon to them. In lieu of destroying a batch, I was told to make tinctures.

I experimented with making one:
1 TBSP Ground Cinnamon
1 oz 40% ABV Vodka (neutral)

The instructions said to let this sit for 4-6 weeks, but I'm terribly impatient and waited about a month. I did the same with cloves.

Every few days I'd swirl it around in the jar. When it came time to pour them off, I poured the clove tincture over a coffee filter into another jar -- this went as expected.

The cinnamon one was a jelly consistency, thick and odd. I threw that on a coffee filter anyways, and several weeks later I now have a few mL in the bottom. My concern is, despite the inhospitable environment created by the vodka, something caused this to happen (an infection, etc).

Is it safe to use?

lol! No, I just think the audience is bewildered by the notion that cinnamon powder plus spirits -> something gelled - I know I am.
Obviously haven't tried it, but it's not what I would expect. Given you obtained the process via advice from someone who presumably had success with it, I'd be inclined to set aside the first results, repeat the process, and see if the first was some bizarre outlier.

Also, having done quite a few tinctures over the years, I don't think you'd really need to go more than a week or so, if you do two things: swirl the tincture mix frequently (leave it in the kitchen and anytime you see it give it a swirl), and keep the fluid level topped up so evaporation doesn't affect the outcome...

Cheers!

Ahhh, I appreciate that -- kneejerk reaction to trolling reddit I guess lol.

Thing is, even with the brews I've made, I don't follow one recipe very well, I take a few that sound good, blend them, document them, and cross my fingers. This was probably one of those.

I had ordered some ceylon sticks and threw one of those, crumbled, in some vodka... Going to see if the results change.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give a week in duration a shot and report back!

Latest posts

Back