Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was the first time I used the HS from Jay and it flowed fine with the leaf. Next brew I will use all pellets. I also do 5 gallons in a 10 gallon kettle with Irish Moss at the 15 minute mark.

excellent. looks like I have something to add to my Christmas list. If you dont mind,what was the price ??

I can't remember exactly but I want to say around $79.00 shipped??? PM Jaybird, he can tell you for sure for your exact vessel. They all vary a bit I think.

Maybe it should be me :)

So... I am (as any business owner can relate to) a weekend behind testing... I did a small test last week and needed to make a small addition to the system... Testing on the revised version will commence on Saturday.... Several people coming over from our club and we are going to do a full on side by side... The new whirlpool FB and a Braid.... 10 gallon batches 6 oz of pellet hops whirlpool both and drain through a 30 plate chiller at full flow (1/2" tubing) gravity.. I have selected one of the owners (yes "S") of the new test FB and I will let you know who that is once I get this test done.... I am sooo excided about this new product it is killing me not to spill the beans just yet!!
Ohhh and Pickles you are one of the people chosen.....OK OK OK I spilled a little :D I am going to choose 1 more....I have about 5 people in the hat right now.. If you match the critera PM me I will put you in the hat too.
Cheers
Jay

Seriously ya'll jaybirds false bottoms are the best. Moving this weekend - can't wait to use my rig again the following weekend...

I have to echo all of the positive comments, my extraction rate went way up with one compared to my old cooler with manifold. The hop stopper works good as well, but the false bottom is awesome. Hitting all the target OG's if not more.

This was the first time I used the HS from Jay and it flowed fine with the leaf. Next brew I will use all pellets. I also do 5 gallons in a 10 gallon kettle with Irish Moss at the 15 minute mark.

Here's the outcome on 3 ounces of pellet hops. Worked fine. No clogging!

This was stuck under the HS when I removed it. Guess it got thru but didn't transfer to the primary.

After rinsing but before cleaning.

I recently purchased and used on the above pictured batch a Chillus Convelutus and then followed these instructions and built it the same way.

After boil was finished I recirculated back to the BK until pitching temp was reached.

Thanks.

I use a Therminator plate chiller. In the warm weather I recirculate back to BK. I'm concerned about pellet residue clogging the chiller.

Thanks.

I use a Therminator plate chiller. In the warm weather I recirculate back to BK. I'm concerned about pellet residue clogging the chiller.

Yeah, I had a Therminator and sold it as I use mostly pellets hops and throw then straight into the BK. It took way to long to clean the Therminator out all the way. Even had to put it in the oven once too to get it all out. The convenience and time savings factor were lost on the extra cleanup time for me.

Jay,

Just got my FB and SS DP in today!! LOVE IT!! I am pretty sure it's been said on HBT before but, you could literally jump on this thing and it wouldn't bend or warp! Thanks again Jay! You even get nifty designs on your FB too!!
IMG_1027.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_1026.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_1025.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Thx Jay!!

So... I am (as any business owner can relate to) a weekend behind testing... I did a small test last week and needed to make a small addition to the system... Testing on the revised version will commence on Saturday.... Several people coming over from our club and we are going to do a full on side by side... The new whirlpool FB and a Braid.... 10 gallon batches 6 oz of pellet hops whirlpool both and drain through a 30 plate chiller at full flow (1/2" tubing) gravity.. I have selected one of the owners (yes "S") of the new test FB and I will let you know who that is once I get this test done.... I am sooo excided about this new product it is killing me not to spill the beans just yet!!
Ohhh and Pickles you are one of the people chosen.....OK OK OK I spilled a little :D I am going to choose 1 more....I have about 5 people in the hat right now.. If you match the critera PM me I will put you in the hat too.
Cheers
Jay

and the results of the test are......

and the results of the test are......

I have got a little behind schedule with all the new false bottom orders...Thanks for all the orders guys!! We did a test on the new whirlpool system and it works great but I need to make 1 little change and then we are off to the races... I will keep you posted.
Cheers
Jay

I have got a little behind schedule with all the new false bottom orders...Thanks for all the orders guys!! We did a test on the new whirlpool system and it works great but I need to make 1 little change and then we are off to the races... I will keep you posted.
Cheers
Jay

Oh look at Jay expertly setting the hook there. Tease! :)

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this ship to hit the docks!!

Thanks Jay, I received my 15" hinged false bottom :ban: and I am very impressed as usual. Thanks brother I am bragging and showing it off to all my brew brothers. So expect more orders from this area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mug:

I just recieved my 15" false bottom and dip tube. Ordered Thusday, delivered Monday on the east coast. You guys are really a class act. I told the guy when I ordered(don't remember who I spoke with)that I had wanted to wait for the new hopstopper, but could no longer wait and I'd order that seperately when available. He said he'd waive shipping. I will have no problem paying the shipping after this, thanks alot guys! Off to build my wife's Christmas mash tun!

Lets go Jay....it's been a week since your latest tease.......... :D

Ohh My gosh man it has been freeken crazy at my store. I have this thing built and tested 1st go around. Minor tweekes and another test run. I was hoping I could have this out by christmas, it just aint gonna happen. I will post up here Tues or Wed.. I have 2 days off this next week Mon and Tues. I am going to brew a batch 10 gallons all pellet hops, whirlpool and take pictures. I have a guy coming over to snap some photos since my camera died.
Answer me this guys. When you whirlpool what method of stiring are you using?? By hand? Drill? and how long are you stiring and letting it sit to form the cone? I know what I do, I am just wondering what you do..
Jay

Ohh My gosh man it has been freeken crazy at my store. I have this thing built and tested 1st go around. Minor tweekes and another test run. I was hoping I could have this out by christmas, it just aint gonna happen. I will post up here Tues or Wed.. I have 2 days off this next week Mon and Tues. I am going to brew a batch 10 gallons all pellet hops, whirlpool and take pictures. I have a guy coming over to snap some photos since my camera died.
Answer me this guys. When you whirlpool what method of stiring are you using?? By hand? Drill? and how long are you stiring and letting it sit to form the cone? I know what I do, I am just wondering what you do..
Jay

I use a pump to whirlpool. I pump through a cooling coil and back into the BK. Out the bottom of the BK via siphon tube and back into the BK through a return port near the top of the volume (the return port is adjustable)

So, I will whirlpool until the temp is near pitching temp then let it settle as long as I have patience (I plan for about 15 minutes).

Ed

Getting ready to set up a Jamil style whirlpool chiller that recirculates the wort and returns it to the top of the kettle creating a whirlpool.

Any news on how the new bottom is working?

I use my pump to whirlpool while passing through the plate chiller to sanitize. Let things settle about 10 minutes then full bore into fermenter.

Finishing up things tonight! its working really well I used 6 ounces in a 10 gallon batch and I will post picts tomorrow on what got through... I am getting a super fine layer of pellet hops in the bottom of the first 1 gallon through the ball valve after that all seems clear or at least 95%+ clear . Now I know I am not going to get 100% but I am sooo very happy with the outcome as of right now. I am having a hard time getting the FB to install easy for everyones application so they are going to have to be a custom build for everyone as far as the diptube goes anyway. And I cannot find a part in stainless that I want, so 1 small part is copper right now.

Picts tomorrow night
Jay

Where did that pic come from? Wikileaks? :)

Can't quite fathom the operation from the pic. So this installs under the false bottom? The bowl appears to be solid which is what is throwing me at the moment.

Ok here is the Whirlpool hop stopper!

How this work is, it connects to your coupling in the kettle with a 90* street elbow to a compression fitting and a stainless dip tube that curves into the bottom under the bowl. I have wrapped the bottom of the heave duty stainless bowl with my False bottom material. The dip tube goes into a 24" stainless braid that is held secure with removable pins. In the bowl there is a drain into the kettle and on the side there is a small wing that assists in the directing of the hop cone to the center of the kettle and above the drain hardware.
The cone is formed, and then as the kettle is drained so is the bowl. The hops end up on the side of the kettle but won’t get there till the braid has filtered the mass of the hops and the kettle is drained.
I was able to drain my boil kettle at full flow through a 30 plate chiller and from start to finish once all was said and done I had a very thin (see through) layer of hop debris on the bottom of my glass carboy in the morning. I waited to pitch so I could see what got through and was in suspension.
These are available and I am building the diptubes custom to fit your kettle if you order one I will need some measurements from you as to where your coupling is etc.
Feel free to go to www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and poke around you can order directly from there as well.

Cheers

Very cool and original design.

Also congratulations on getting the web store up and running. Now I know where to go to look at the latest Jaybird creations. :mug:

I saw this in person today at jays store... I want one... soon...

In fact, you can go ahead and start building me one jay...

I'll bring my keggle down next week so you can measure it...

It'll be your first order of 2011...

Can I get credit on that SS compression fitting?.. I haven't used or installed it yet... and now I will not be needing it...

I stopped at Keller Supply on the way home to buy my tubing... Since I priced out my custom flat CFC two weeks ago, copper prices have skyrocketed.. and it's now very expensive to build, so I am rethinking the whole plate chiller approach... a 20' stick of 3/4" copper type 'M' was over 40 dollars at my wholesaler... 1/2" was 23 dollars for 20 feet... Which means that by the time I buy all the fittings, I'm looking at well over $200.... Basically, the project has doubled in price all of a sudden...

Unbelievable! Ordered my false bottom on thursday with lots of help from Jay. It was delivered to my house today. Can't beat that! And it is great quality!
Thanks Jay!

Any chance we can get a picture of the underside of you new hop stopper? Also what part is copper and have you come up with a solution that will replace it with stainless yet?

Latest posts

Back