Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaybird,

I'm about to order a FB, dip tube and weldless keg kit from you. Any deals for Christmas before I place the order? I may order a Hopstopper as well!
Hmmmmmm Maybe....I am still trying to recover from Black Friday....LOL

Looking to have 1/2 couplings welded onto my keggle and wandering if you would give me a quote for a 15" folding FB/w hole with a stainless pick tube that would thread into 1/2" coupling. Much praise from other members so I guess your the man.

Or do you think a 14" or 12" FB would work better? :mug:

PM sent....
Jay

klyph said:
I wouldn't reproduce without running it through a jaybird false bottom first.

Wow, now that's a testimony worthy of being printed on the packaging :)

Jay -
Ordered a 15" hinged - with a hole.

shipped quick, came EXACTLY as ordered.

Tell you what - this thing looks BULLETPROOF! I cant WAIT to try it out!

Thanks JAYBIRD!

Jay -
Ordered a 15" hinged - with a hole.

shipped quick, came EXACTLY as ordered.

Tell you what - this thing looks BULLETPROOF! I cant WAIT to try it out!

Thanks JAYBIRD!

+1 here! Haven't had time to finish up my mash tun build, but all the pieces are ready to go. Hoping to have time in the coming weeks. Thanks again for the call for clarification, quick shipment and stellar fabrication.

Dave

Well guys I have to toss out the thanks to you guys! I couldn't do it with out all the killer feed back. I know I am not perfect and we have had a few mix ups, but we always fix the problem and try our best to get it right. I am going to start a new thread here soon about my little home brew store. We are moving into a new location in a month. Loads of space, better location.....but best of all......we have big news to share...

Jaybird said:
Well guys I have to toss out the thanks to you guys! I couldn't do it with out all the killer feed back. I know I am not perfect and we have had a few mix ups, but we always fix the problem and try our best to get it right. I am going to start a new thread here soon about my little home brew store. We are moving into a new location in a month. Loads of space, better location.....but best of all......we have big news to share...

Well.... Don't leave us hanging. What's the big news?

Just ordered my FB 15" hinged with handle and hole drilled. Plus a dip tube for welded direct fired MLT. Very excited!!!!

Just ordered my FB 15" hinged with handle and hole drilled. Plus a dip tube for welded direct fired MLT. Very excited!!!!

JW
This will probably leave the store tomorrow in the AM.....
Thanks for the order. It was nice chatting with ya'
You'll be glad you went for the handle!
Cheers
Jay

Got my stuff today. Very excited to try it out. Just need to get my keggle welded. Very heavy duty! Thanks for talking me into adding the handle. Does the dip tube ever snug up or is it suppose to have some play?

Got my stuff today. Very excited to try it out. Just need to get my keggle welded. Very heavy duty! Thanks for talking me into adding the handle. Does the dip tube ever snug up or is it suppose to have some play?

I have install instructions on the website, but to answer your ?? it will snug up but you have to set it and doing so requires a few tools...
When you get it all set in the kettle where you want it tighten it down hard to set the ferrels ( I am sure I spelled that wrong LOL) but you get the point.....

I need something I can use in the BK to filter whole hops. However, I use an immersion chiller and would rather not have it rest on the dip tube. So I was thinking about a 15" false bottom with the hole drilled only 2-3 inches from the side wall which would leave plenty of space for the chiller to rest on the false bottom. Just had a couple questions.

1. What is the main difference between a hop stopper and a false bottom when it comes to using in the BK solely to filter whole hops? Would one be better than the other??

2. Is the hop halter needed when using pellet hops only? Whole hops won't get through a false bottom, so I'm guessing the hop halter would be unnecessary for whole hops?

I need something I can use in the BK to filter whole hops. However, I use an immersion chiller and would rather not have it rest on the dip tube. So I was thinking about a 15" false bottom with the hole drilled only 2-3 inches from the side wall which would leave plenty of space for the chiller to rest on the false bottom. Just had a couple questions.

1. What is the main difference between a hop stopper and a false bottom when it comes to using in the BK solely to filter whole hops? Would one be better than the other??

2. Is the hop halter needed when using pellet hops only? Whole hops won't get through a false bottom, so I'm guessing the hop halter would be unnecessary for whole hops?

The hop stopper is the same material as the False Bottoms. They are designed for the use in a flat bottom kettle.
The 15" hinged will work great for what your talking about but you will need to cut your diptube or drill the hole yourself to get them to mate up right.
The hop halter is used for pellet hops and can only be used right now with the 15" false bottom and a center diptube or center drain. Yes its not necessary for whole hops.

let me know if you need anything else....
Have a GREAT New Year!
Cheers
Jay

Any new year deals for someone who wants to reproduce through a Jaybird Stainless Steel false bottom?

Any new year deals for someone who wants to reproduce through a Jaybird Stainless Steel false bottom?
I loved that quote!!
I would love to but I am slammed right now with the new shop and adding a rush would just kill me!
Stay posted for sure though.

***Giggle***

Someone will get it....It really is a good hint! and no its not Dr.Pepper....LOL

The hop stopper is the same material as the False Bottoms. They are designed for the use in a flat bottom kettle.
The 15" hinged will work great for what your talking about but you will need to cut your diptube or drill the hole yourself to get them to mate up right.
The hop halter is used for pellet hops and can only be used right now with the 15" false bottom and a center diptube or center drain. Yes its not necessary for whole hops.

let me know if you need anything else....
Have a GREAT New Year!
Cheers
Jay

Well I went ahead an ordered a 15" hinged FB to use in the BK..I should have just bought 2 when I got the one for my Mash Tun! :eek:

Looking forward to it.

Do you make a false bottom for a Bayou Classic 82QT kettle? Diameter of 18.75"

Its on the books! I can quote you that one in a day or 2...My goal is to make a false bottom for every kettle out there and have it as a stock part thus making it easier to buy and more affordable as well....I am working on all the sizes and working with the kettle builders like Bayou and others alike....I will PM you when I get a cost lined up. Probably tomorrow afternoon.
Cheers
Jay

Received my False Bottom for my Bayou Classic 62qt pot (Evidently it's not the 1060 model, but oh well)

I'm glad I ordered the stand and handle as they both make life 100% easier for fitting and the kettle mod.

I'll be posting the mod in a diferent thread.

Hey Jay! How high does your stand raise the false bottom?

Good question. Standard height for a flat bottom kettle is 1.25 and we have options to make them as tall as you want(within reason). If you are going to have the drain under the false bottom then 2" is a good option. this lets you drain under the false bottom, install the false bottom without a diptube in the way and make for a real clean install.
Cheers
Jay

Good question. Standard height for a flat bottom kettle is 1.25 and we have options to make them as tall as you want(within reason). If you are going to have the drain under the false bottom then 2" is a good option. this lets you drain under the false bottom, install the false bottom without a diptube in the way and make for a real clean install.
Cheers
Jay

I should have thought about that. As is, I had to trim 1/2" off my stand to accomodate my dip tube.

Jaybird said:
Cheers
Jay

Awesome! That is exactly what I was wanting!

On another note..... We have loads of customers that are using a street 90 and a close nipple as a dip tube under their false bottoms to get right down to the bottom of the kettle. You can add any height nipple to get you where you need to be depending on where you drill your hole..... Just another option for you guys using flat bottom kettles.
Cheers
Jay

I loved that quote!!
I would love to but I am slammed right now with the new shop and adding a rush would just kill me!
Stay posted for sure though.

Thought I would add my vote for another false bottom special when you get caught up. I'm looking for a 12" plain false bottom.

Just got my false bottom and dip tube, but have a couple questions. How high should the dip tube be from the bottom of the keg? Right now you can slide a buisiness card in between the dip tube and bottom, it's pretty tight. How much should I cut off? 1/8"?
Also the box was a bit mangled when I got it and not sure if the false bottom got bent but it doesn't sit flat on the bottom (12" in keg) when pressed down it does sit flat. Should I just put a stainless hose clamp on the dip tube to hold the bottom down?

Ps both items look great, very happy with the quality.

My false bottom and dip tube shipped friday. If everything lines up right, I will have a man crush on Jay for the rest of my life.

Back