Jarlsberg, in the cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this cheese. Hoping for success. We'll see. Almost warm phase time, where it develops the holes (like swiss).

I have a new curd spoon. I like it. Gets into the corners of my pot better than its predecessor.
1687832483705.png

1687832542507.png

I've seen so many of your cheese and sausage posts and I can't help but become so envious of your awesome skills!

Warm phase, waiting for it to plump with internal holes. The cheese seems perfect in that the curd knit and moisture will allow it to expand when bubbles form, without splitting.

Problem is, it's not plumping. The proprionic shermanii bacteria I added to the milk should ferment the lactose and produce lots of CO2, causing the flat wheel to become rounded on top and bottom. Not sure why it's not happening. THe shermanii is not that old, and I've definately used much older.

I bagged it because it's SOOOO much easier to age cheeses like this. Salted and bagged, no worries of mold growth. Same as waxing, though waxing is a pain, and can still mold if there are pinholes. Also, bagged cheese can be opened, tried, then re-vacuumed. Can't do that with wax.
1689367726401.png

Back