JAOM oranges dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I started my first JAOM 2.5 months ago, And I was following Joes instructions pretty much all the way: So earlier this week I unwrapped my little bundle of joy to see that about 90% of the fruit dropped and was really nice and clear...I Could read the newspaper behind the 1 gallon jug...so I stared at it for awhile and decided I would rack off the fruit for a tad bit longer. Today I go check on my Darling ..

And Wham all of the fruit has started floating again ...

I wanted to rack to a secondary (aganist Joes insructions) lol
should I wait a bit longer? Should I just Rack

(conditions that may have affected this)

I did pick up the jug to inspect and added a bit more Vodka to the airlock

my wife opened the window in the "brew room" cause the Hefe was stinking really bad, and when I got home it seemed a bit warmer in there(not 85-90 hot ..just warm)

any advice would be cool

thanks jeffD :rockin:

Well, if it was mine, I'd place the fermenter where it can sit so that when the fruit has dropped again, you can just drop a racking tube in and siphon it straight out.

Get as much clear mead out, then if you can, siphon the last of the liquid into a narrow container, then refridgerate it. It helps to settle out the last of the mead and sediment and makes it easier to remove as much liquid as possible.

The above suggestion is because bread yeast doesn't flocculate very well and is easily disturbed.

Thanks Fatbloke,

Yea that bread yeast does not cake at all (that I can tell). It wasn't like I was shaking the fermenter but it seemed to start fermenting again (bubbly activity in fermenter NOT airlock)

I'll move it into racking position and then I'll do my best Chuck Norris and WAIT

JeffD

Back