JAOM Orange Pithy Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first ever mead, JAOM, right after Christmas. The recipe was followed exactly, but I decided to let the orange slices fall to the bottom before bottling it.

The fruit went down about a week ago so I bottled it over the weekend. I used beer bottles because it's what I have and just seemed appropriate.
I was very careful to keep from disturbing the yeast during bottling. The last bit in the very bottom went into a 2 liter soda bottle and into the fridge so any yeast would settle.

I just decided to try a sip and WOW.....it's not so good. It's pretty strong alcohol wise but the orange peel smell and taste is quite overwhelming.

Can I expect this to mellow out in the bottle over time and do I have that kind of time in beer bottles with crown caps?

Yes it gets better. JAOM is toted to be drinkable at 3 months. That does not mean it will be a favorite. But it will not be unbearable at that point. My first JAOM was taste tested every 30 days and you will be surprised at how much it actually changes. I really started enjoying it at the 7 month mark. That seems to be norm that 6-9 months of aging is required for a JAOM to mature.

No bottle aging is fine. The only reason people bulk age is for consistency. With bottles you may have some get more sun light than others or some bottles sit at a different temp than others so the aging is inconsistent. But that inconsistency is so minuscule compared to what a JAOM is that it really doesn't matter.

Back