Jamil's West Coast Blaster--Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I am looking to brew Jamil's West Coast Blaster. Although I normally brew extract, I have done an oatmeal stout partial mash. The WCB extract recipe calls for .7 lb. of Munich LME, in addition to 8.75 lbs. of English pale LME. Rather than try to get .7 lb. of Munich LME (I could not find Munich DME), I was thinking I could get a pound of Munich malt and mash it. If I mash 1 lb. of Munich with the .5 lb. of Victory and 3 oz. of Pale Chocolate malt that the recipie calls for will I be okay? Or do I need to add some two-row malt to the mash to properly convert everything? Thanks.

It will be close... it really depends on your particular batch of Munich, to be honest. It's best to be on the safe side though - the chocolate doesn't need converting, but the victory definitely does.

So I'd throw in at least a pound of a more diastatic malt. If it calls for English extract though, I'd recommend going with some Marris Otter rather than regular American 2-row.

In fact, use as much MO as you can, and adjust the amount of extract you need accordingly. When partial mashing, I always found it best to mash as much grain as I could, and use less extract. Not completely necessary, but especially with a malt like MO, it will make a big difference!

Latest posts

Back