Jalapeño pairing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
So I discovered my favorite mead recipe so far. I tend to sip on this more than anything else I’ve made:

4 jalapeños
25-30 raisens
1 cup black tea
3 lbs clover honey
Yeast nutrient 1/2 now 1/2 later
Yeast energizer 1/2 now 1/2 later
2 tsp bread yeast. Hydrated with water and honey
OG 1.124
FG 1.030
I like to backsweeten after stabilizing to 1.050 (I know it’s sweet) but it’s needed to cut the heat

Once it’s clear I bottle and it’s enjoyable right away about a month or so it’s very drinkable.

So here’s my question. I am looking to add some more profile to it. I am wondering about racking onto some kind of fruit to pair with it so I’m looking for suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of like 1 lb of strawberries or blackberries? Any ideas? Thanks guys

Last edited:
I would try dry hopping it with some Citra hops. 1/2 oz or so for 7 -8 days. Citra hops add floral notes and no bitter flavors if dry hopped less than 8 days. (OMG - Now I am going to have to add Jalapenos to my next hopped Mead, if i get the balance right I think it could be amazing.)

Consider adding a little Citric acid (1/8 tsp to 1/4 per gallon) see what that does for you.

Blackberries and Blueberries (About a pound per gallon in secondary) IMO rounds out the flavor nicely and they seem to go well with Black tea and raisins when the tea and raisins are added to primary. I have not tried fruit and chilies or jalapenos combined. Not sure what he sweet profile from the fruit would do to the heat from the jalapenos

You might want to consider some medium toast Oak (1/2 oz for 3 or 4 days) and or a vanilla bean split and added in secondary adds a lot of tannins (so do the raisins and Tea) but might be an option vs. the fruit. (Could be a bit over the top however.)

Sweet and heat almost always go well together, IMO. Is the jalapeño flavor more fresh pepper flavor or more bite?

Sweet and heat almost always go well together, IMO. Is the jalapeño flavor more fresh pepper flavor or more bite?

It honestly depends how you taste it..it’s sweet upfront you taste the honey, then it’s followed by a short bit of heat that goes away..very refreshing, very tasty

Following up: Tried adding mango and was tasty. Also blended with my raspberry mead...also good. Lastly, turned it into a pyment (welches grape base). All very good.

Latest posts

Back