Jaded Brewing Wort Chillers: A Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided it was time for me to go back to chilling my wort with an IC, as I was getting too much trub for my liking into the fermenters. After some research, I landed on the Jaded Brewing website. I was initially interested in the Hydra, though was unsure as to whether it would be the best for my procedure. So I contact customer service. Over a week, I received the most detailed responses to my questions that were filled with great information. After all of that, I settled on the 50 foot half inch IC. This is a very well built piece of equipment with hose attachments on either end, which is great. I just had the opportunity to use this chiller on 12 gallons of Brulosopher's Dark Brown Ale. Utilizing the techniques taught to me by Jaded (constant agitation), my wort was to pitching temp of 64F within 15 minutes using 60F ground water at full blast. All in all, I couldn't be more please, not just with the product itself, but the customer service. I was so pleased, I just bought a different IC as a gift for my brother.

Cheers!

I have the King Cobra from JaDeD. I took six gallons of wort from 212* to 70* in 18 minutes. That isn't so great, right, because I noticed that I hadn't removed my kettle from my stovetop, which was still incredibly hot and warming the kettle from the bottom. On my second batch, the thing took the six gallons of wort from 212* to 70* in approximately 14 minutes. Bear in mind, as well, that my water is warm as I'm in the southern midwest in the middle of 90* summer weather. I then, on my third batch, took the advice of the techs at JaDeD and agitated the wort throughout the chilling process. The results, especially given my 81* ambient environment, were stunning. This thing took the wort from 212* to 80* in 4 minutes and fifteen seconds and to 72* in 5 minutes and eleven seconds. What!? How is that possible. Keep in mind, this is even more impressive considering, I’m using garden hose water and the temperature is 90-something outside. This isn’t exactly super cool water. My conclusion on the performance of this chiller is that it is without comparison. It saves water by chilling more rapidly, improves the quality of my beer by chilling more rapidly: in short, it looks as good as it chills.

I have also been using (beta testing) the King Cobra with fantastic results!

so far the times listed aren't any better than a standard coil IC with a slow flow at 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

Brulosopher said:
I have also been using (beta testing) the King Cobra with fantastic results!

Might I ask if you purchased this chiller, or are you testing a demo model for the manufacturer.

Might create a bias...just sayin?

wilserbrewer said:
Might I ask if you purchased this chiller, or are you testing a demo model for the manufacturer. Might create a bias...just sayin?

I'm beta testing a demo, which certainly could be creating bias I'm unaware of, as much as I like to think it's not. I've beta tested numerous brewing products and have felt perfectly comfortable providing negative feedback, as I believe it's only fair to the manufacturer who expects such feedback to better their product. Either way...

This chiller is performing better than any other chiller, IC or CFC, I've used before. I already know one thing I'm doing that, when changed, will decrease my chill time further- updated results will be posted after my next trial run. The only thing I don't like about the King Cobra is the diameter is too big, so it won't fit in a bucket for post-chill cleaning.

Man I love my King Cobra chiller. If you slowly move the chiller up and down, you can easily chill a 5.5 gallon batch in 4 minutes or less to 75. I was using 75 degree water too. This thing is awesome.

I bought a king cobra late last summer after missing out on the jaded brewing giveaway last year (and not a beta-tester!). I chose an IC after months of intense hbt research, going round and round on what kind of chiller I should go with. I ended up choosing an IC because it would work well between my two different brewing setups. I have to admit that my groundwater is pretty cold so for you warmer climate folks your results may differ. Last weekend I was brewing on my 5 gallon system and I was able to take my boiling wort to 68 degrees F in 5 minutes (101 F outside air temp). If I had opened my spigot all the way I could have chilled it quicker, but I'm a patient person so I'm not trying to set any records!

A few weeks ago I brewed a 10 gallon batch, and that took me 11 minutes to chill. Again, I did not use a wide open spigot so I could have chilled even faster had I done that. I also stirred the wort per the jaded brewing recommendation (agitate/stir) to speed up the chilling time. I am very happy with the chiller and the ease of use. For the folks that are looking to cut time out of their brew day this thing is pretty remarkable. It's also just an awesome piece of equipment to look at.........all the bling of a blichmann, just in copper tone! Hope this quasi-review helps anyone that might be looking at a jaded brewing IC, specifically the king cobra.

Edited to add the simplicity of cleaning compared to other chilling systems: This chiller has a ton of coils and copper connectors to keep it all aligned, but it's really simple to clean. I collect the first few gallons of hot water and use that to wash it off. When the wort is completely chilled I pull the IC out, dunk it in the hot water and then spray it off with the hose, let it air dry and then store

I got me the hydra and although I have used it a couple times I am going from boil to 70 in less than 5 min doing 5 gal batches. Love this thing and really really wish I had done it sooner!

Not a "beta-tester", so no bias here. Purchased a King Cobra recently and despite the price and wait time (3 weeks to ship) couldn't be more impressed with the performance. I live in SE Louisiana (gulf coast) and the tap temps right now are 80+. I have never been satisfied with any IC prior (even with an ice water pump setup)and was looking at getting either a plate or a Counterflow. Then I read about the Jaded brand of ICs. After multiple water runs and now two brews I can attest to their performance claims. Granted, my times are not as quick as theirs, but my parameters aren't the same either (as I said earlier, my tap water is 80+). I do recirculate as well as use ice water with a pump once I knock the temps down to below 120, but I have my cooling down to 15 mins or less, and look forward to cutting that in half once the weather (and tap temps cool) and I get my procedures down. Bottom line, this is the solution I had been looking for. (BTW, I have a 15 gal EBIABpot and do 6-7 gal batches.)

I have been following your blog, and like it very much. I was using a 50' ic but just switched to a moorbeer CF. I am not sure if I am using it correclty, but I just hook it up inline with my pump and recirculate back into the boil kettle for the last 15 minutes of boil, so I sanitize it then just switch on the water when I am done the boil.

I can say it chills almost twice as fast as my old IC (in my less than professional estimate).

I got my wort down to 70 and have never gotten it down below 72 before even after running the the water a half hour.

This took me maybe 15 minutes.

Lets me whirlpool effectively and chill.....seems to be a win for me.

Not a "beta-tester", so no bias here. Purchased a King Cobra recently and despite the price and wait time (3 weeks to ship) couldn't be more impressed with the performance. I live in SE Louisiana (gulf coast) and the tap temps right now are 80+. I have never been satisfied with any IC prior (even with an ice water pump setup)and was looking at getting either a plate or a Counterflow. Then I read about the Jaded brand of ICs. After multiple water runs and now two brews I can attest to their performance claims. Granted, my times are not as quick as theirs, but my parameters aren't the same either (as I said earlier, my tap water is 80+). I do recirculate as well as use ice water with a pump once I knock the temps down to below 120, but I have my cooling down to 15 mins or less, and look forward to cutting that in half once the weather (and tap temps cool) and I get my procedures down. Bottom line, this is the solution I had been looking for. (BTW, I have a 15 gal EBIABpot and do 6-7 gal batches.)

Nice! Used my KC 3 times this weekend, boiling to 82F in under 5 min on each 5 gal batch.

I have been following your blog, and like it very much. I was using a 50' ic but just switched to a moorbeer CF. I am not sure if I am using it correclty, but I just hook it up inline with my pump and recirculate back into the boil kettle for the last 15 minutes of boil, so I sanitize it then just switch on the water when I am done the boil.

I can say it chills almost twice as fast as my old IC (in my less than professional estimate).

I got my wort down to 70 and have never gotten it down below 72 before even after running the the water a half hour.

This took me maybe 15 minutes.

Lets me whirlpool effectively and chill.....seems to be a win for me.

Thanks!

I've recirculated with a pimp, but I prefer elbow grease, it's quicker and easier to clean. Either way, those are good chill times.

Nice! Used my KC 3 times this weekend, boiling to 82F in under 5 min on each 5 gal batch.

Thanks!

I've recirculated with a pimp, but I prefer elbow grease, it's quicker and easier to clean. Either way, those are good chill times.

That must be some fancy pimp...:drunk:

The cobra is pretty fantastic.

What impresses me the most is how it is designed. If the inlet is attached right, the cold water can go around the outside coils. As the water warms, the coils get smaller in circumference. So warmer water is moved out quicker and cooler water travels through the wort slower. Kinda like a reverse funnel.

Another tip I'll add is I found slowing my flow at first helped. The water was exiting too cold and not pulling enough heat out. My water pressure is really high and ground temps now are below 60°. As the wort cooled I increased the flow. Took me around 5 -6 mins for 5 gals. If I were better about moving the chiller constantly, 3.5 mins for 5 gals is surely doable where I am.

I've posted about my success with the Jaded Hydra previously, but I'll post again here because I think the chiller is that good.

Most recently, I was able to get a 10 gallon batch (11.5-12 gallons of hot wort) from boiling to 65 F in about 12 minutes. I'm not positive about the time because I stopped at 180 F for a hop stand. I use a 3/8" OD x 25' long prechiller in an ice bath and run the hose at full blast while keeping both chillers constantly moving. By far, the best chilling method I've ever used. I especially like that it doesn't require any pumps, just a bit of physical labor.

I just got their cfc today. I haven't used it but man, what a beautiful piece of hardware. Very, very well made and a very smart design for cleaning and maintenance IMHO. I can't wait to run some wort through it.

Do any of you brew with electric? I am converting to electric and I am looking for a better chiller, but worried that the IC sitting on the element might be a problem. I am using a CFC and it takes forever for 5 gallons, so I am looking into a jaded IC. I plan to whirlpool after the boil and am hoping that a jaded chiller will speed things up....

Jaded is now selling something called the Electric Chair which holds your chiller above the element. I don't see it on their web site but heard them talking about it on a pod cast.

Hey Dailey, when I upgraded to electric BIAB I got the Jaded specifically for my set up. It works great and cools quicker than anything I've used before or after. I got the King Cobra and couldn't be happier with the investment. I too had concerns about the element so I built a small "stand" with a cut out (from a SS false bottom and 4 SS bolts. Very crude but simple solution that protects the element.

I bought a King Cobra based on Brulosophy's review. Couldn't be happier. Hell, my entire process is starting to look like Marshall's. SS Brewtech Kettle & Brewbucket, Brew Bag for my mash tun, Jaded chiller, etc.

Do any of you brew with electric? I am converting to electric and I am looking for a better chiller, but worried that the IC sitting on the element might be a problem. I am using a CFC and it takes forever for 5 gallons, so I am looking into a jaded IC. I plan to whirlpool after the boil and am hoping that a jaded chiller will speed things up....

I do. I had been using a 50 ft chiller and it sat on the element. That didn't bother me so much, but it did bug me that I could not WP effectively and place the lid on during hop stands. I pulled the trigger on a jaded cyclone and couldn't be happier.

I brew with electric. I had been using a 50 ft chiller and had it on the element. That didn't bother me so much, but it did bug me that I could not WP effectively and place the lid on during hop stands. I pulled the trigger on a jaded cyclone and couldn't be happier.

Back