Hydra or Mantis immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstone617

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Feedback appreciated! I built my own IC years ago but between 2 house moves it’s been lost and I’m thinking I’ll just buy one now. I’m between the Jaded hydra and mantis immersion chillers and not sure which would be best. I mostly brew 5 gallon batches in the kitchen currently, so the mantis is nice because it has sink connections by default, but the hydra is a bit taller, which I assume would more evenly chill my wort, plus if I ever move my operation outside I could obviously bring it and attach to the spigot. Has anyone used a hydra with adapters for a kitchen sink? Any other IC’s I should be looking at?

I have a Jaded Mantis and like it very much -- there was a very noticeable drop in chilling time when I moved to it from my generic NB model. The low height of the Mantis was a selling point for me -- for my smallest batches, even the Mantis isn't fully covered by wort. For the Mantis you need a garden hose adaptor for your kitchen sink. It looks like for the Hydra you'll have to supply some garden hoses as well ... maybe folks can weigh in on how much of a hassle that is.

Back