Jacketed Unitank—X2 v BrewTools F Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m hoping to jump to glycol ferm and more. I lucked out on a heck of a deal on a BB Icemaster 4. The X2 and F Series look like a goal. The latter seems much pricier, but may include more. Has anyone compared final cost and performance between the two geared out for common wants/gear? 10G batch size goals. I’m fairly new to this form so if there is a better place for me to place this, please let me know.

Still torn. For $900 less, I could add several items to the X2. In the 14G models, the F80 is about 30 pounds heavier, and it seems more sturdy. No passivation needed on the F80 is attractive too. Has anyone used both or have regrets for either?

I'm not seeing that the X2 is jacketed. This would be 90% of the price difference.

3C952AE5-0811-49F2-BECC-A3F547F0B41B.png

3C952AE5-0811-49F2-BECC-A3F547F0B41B.png
Definitely jacketed.

I recently purchased the 7 gallon X2 jacketed fermenter. My reasons for choosing it may be different from yours. I currently have 2) 27L and 1) 55L Fermzillas. I like certain parts of their design. I do like the collection chamber and I like the floating dip tube. These are features that the X2 has that do not seem available with the Brewtools.

I ordered the X2 Jacketed Fermenter and the 80 watt heating pad from MoreBeer. I ordered the SpikeAll-In-One PRV All-In One-PRV and CIP arm from Spike. Those two items cost the same as just the pressure fermenting kit from MoreBeer and take up less room. I ordered casters from Amazon for $30 rather than pay $80 from MoreBeer. I ordered the HopDropper from Brewers Hardware Hop Dropper It uses a ball valve rather than a butterfly and allows the hops to drop very smoothly. I also ordered other various fittings from Brewers Hardware and Brew Hardware to set up the CIP system and connect the glycol ports to my glycol system. I ordered a carbonating stone fitting to go in the collection chamber from Amazon for $10 less than MoreBeer. At this point, I have roughly $1900.00 into the fermenter and accesories.

I received the last piece yesterday and I will connect the glycol system to the fermenter today. I do suggest using shut off disconnects for the glycol so you can easily move the fermenter around for cleaning. So far, the CIP arm works very well and I was able to clean, degrease and passivate the tank with no problems. I can let you know my experience using the fermenter after my first brew in it this weekend.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
I recently purchased the 7 gallon X2 jacketed fermenter. My reasons for choosing it may be different from yours. I currently have 2) 27L and 1) 55L Fermzillas. I like certain parts of their design. I do like the collection chamber and I like the floating dip tube. These are features that the X2 has that do not seem available with the Brewtools.

I ordered the X2 Jacketed Fermenter and the 80 watt heating pad from MoreBeer. I ordered the SpikeAll-In-One PRV All-In One-PRV and CIP arm from Spike. Tose two items cost the same as just the pressure fermenting kit from MoreBeer and take up less room. I ordered casters from Amazon for $30 rather than pay $80 from MoreBeer. I ordered the HopDropper from Brewers Hardware Hop Dropper It uses a ball valve rather than a butterflay and allows the hops to drop very smoothly. I also ordered other various fittings from Brewers Hardware and Brew Hardware to set up the CIP system and connect the glycol ports to my glycol system. I ordered a carbonating stone fitting to go in the collection chamber from Amazon for $10 less than MoreBeer. At this point, I have roughly $1900.00 into the fermenter and accesories.

I received the last piece yesterday and I will connect the glycol system to the fermenter today. I do suggest using shut off disconnects for the glycol so you can easily move the fermenter around for cleaning. So far, the CIP arm works very well and I was able to clean, degrease and passivate the tank with no problems. I can let you know my experience using the fermenter after my first brew in it this weekend.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks! I look forward to the update. I did Amazon casters for my CF5. I do have a number of components for it that I could use with either of the new unit tanks, but it may be easier to use with the X2. I don’t currently have an option to ferment a full 10 gallon batch, so I am looking at the larger size. I also saw a video from the Electric Brewer on quick disconnect for glycol lines that are valved and got the components.

38 gallon jacketed X2 is at an insane price right now! Also - the parts to make the hop dropping kit are much cheaper on aliexpress (and arrive pretty darn quick). And you can customize exactly how you want it.

I also went with 90 degree barb to tri clamp fittings on the glycol inlet/outlet so the hose is not kinked. And went a few steps up in the quick disconnects to the Koolance QDT3 EPDM 13mm fittings (could have done QDT4 but missed that option). More flow and all stainless steel.

Back