Jacketed Conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayr87

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting two jacketed conicals, and I am trying to decide on what sizes to get.
Right now I'm looking at getting them from Brewers Hardware, but I am open to other options. The few big things I want are jacketed, able to hold pressure 15psi or so, and welded fittings. Brewers hardware offers 8, 15, and 20 gallon conicals.

I do batches ranging from 5, 7.25, 10, and 15.5 gallons. I keg in sankeys and depending on how much of a beer or the gravity I'll make different size batches.

I'm trying to pick the two that would best let me do those various batch sizes here are the two options that I'm thinking, let me know your thoughts.

8 and 20
8 - for 5 gal and maybe squeeze 7.25 in it
20 - 7.25, 10, and 15.5 I just don't know if there would be too much headspace with 7.25

15 and 20
15 - 5, 7.25, and 10gal I just don't know if that would be too much headspace with 5
20 - 10 and 15.5

Ideally a 10 gallon and 17-20 gallon conical would be best but I can't find any that meet the three big things I'm looking for (unless I missed them.)

Let me know what everyone thinks.

Second question-

I am planning on a diy glycol chiller with valves for cooling. What is everyone using to heat them? They will be in my basement which is usually in the low 60 to mid 60s but I would like the option of any temp depending on the beer.

The best thing I can come up with is another reservoir with an aquarium heater and doing two valves or three ways. Then some how having a overflow that drains between the two to prevent one reservoir from getting too much glycol in it.

Back