Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
IMG_3606.JPG
I have these for my smoker...any thoughts how to use in a beer? Just toss them in the fermenter or soak them in some bourbon? They already had JD aging in them but how long does that flavor remain? How much? A cup? A pound? How long? Start til finish?

Well maybe after soaking in JD I might suck one

I haven't used those specifically but in using bourbon soaked chips before it can be extracted in just a couple days. IIRC I typically only had them in the fermenter for 2-3 days after fermentation. Basically just taste daily until you reach the desired level of flavor for the beer and then package

View attachment 610973 I have these for my smoker...any thoughts how to use in a beer? Just toss them in the fermenter or soak them in some bourbon? They already had JD aging in them but how long does that flavor remain? How much? A cup? A pound? How long? Start til finish?

Did you ever try these? I got large barrel chunks for smoking, about to use one of them, about 1 oz and see how it turns out. Can't be worse than just oak...

I've been using the Jack Daniels wood chips a while now. Usually a 1/2-1 cup and soak them with 1-2oz of whatever whiskey I have on hand. Been happy with the results but I don't have a "control sample" to compare to.

they go "lose" in the fermenter and stay until I keg. Close to a month for the beers I use wood chips on. I don't think that's too long considering we are trying to replicate barrel aged beer in a short time. A handful of chips for a month is not the same as in a wood barrel for a year.

I find that the JD chips are a little harsh out of the bag and I recommend boiling them first in water to open up the pores and loose a bit of the tannin harshness before soaking them in whiskey.

I find that the JD chips are a little harsh out of the bag and I recommend boiling them first in water to open up the pores and loose a bit of the tannin harshness before soaking them in whiskey.

Very interesting, what do you mean by harsh? I've talked about boiling them before but most folks think that I'm going to boil away most of the bourbon flavors.

Overall I'm excited to try this. I actually got a stave pieces split into small rectangles, rather than chips. Brewing the beer next weekend and will add one 2" stave for 6 weeks at first to see how it goes.

Very interesting, what do you mean by harsh? I've talked about boiling them before but most folks think that I'm going to boil away most of the bourbon flavors.

Overall I'm excited to try this. I actually got a stave pieces split into small rectangles, rather than chips. Brewing the beer next weekend and will add one 2" stave for 6 weeks at first to see how it goes.
By harsh I am refering to the bitter tannin taste. The oak cubes bought through the beer supply store appear to have l much milder taste.

Back