Jabberwocky Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHoots

Reaction score
While researching for a Maibock recipe I plan to brew at the end of the year, I came across Papazians Jabberwocky Maibock recipe. I generally formulate my own recipes, but I've always been a fan of his and thought this might be worth brewing. Thoughts?
  • 11 lb (5 kg) | Pilsner Malt
  • 1.0 lb (454 g) | Belgian (or other) aromatic malt
  • 0.25 lb (112 g) | German Sauer (sour) malt
  • 1.5 oz (42 g) | 4.4% alpha German Hallertauer whole hops (60 minutes)
  • 2.0 oz (56 g) | 5.5% alpha German Hersbuck-Hallertauer whole hops (15 minutes)
  • 0.6 oz (14 g) | 5.5% alpha Crystal pellet hops (1 minutes)
  • 0.3 oz (10 g) | 5.5% alpha Crystal pellet hops (DRY HOPPING)
  • 0.25 tsp | powered Irish moss
  • 0.75 cup (180 ml) corn sugar (priming bottles) or 0.33 cup (80 ml) corn sugar for kegging
  • German or Bavarian type lager yeast

In all deference to Charlie Papazian as one of the founding fathers of American homebrewing I'd much prefer a Maibock heavy on Vienna malt and eliminate those late and dry hop additions. If you need sauer malt for your pH adjustment then by all means use it, otherwise ditch it. Keep the 60 minute and 15 minute hop additions.

12.25 lbs/5.6 Kg base malt (60% Vienna, 40% pilsner) (2% sauer if needed)

Shoot for high 60s OG (~1.068) with IBUs of 25-30

In all deference to Charlie Papazian as one of the founding fathers of American homebrewing I'd much prefer a Maibock heavy on Vienna malt and eliminate those late and dry hop additions. If you need sauer malt for your pH adjustment then by all means use it, otherwise ditch it. Keep the 60 minute and 15 minute hop additions.

12.25 lbs/5.6 Kg base malt (60% Vienna, 40% pilsner) (2% sauer if needed)

Shoot for high 60s OG (~1.068) with IBUs of 25-30
Thanks for the input. I'm not really familiar with this style.

Back