I've got the bug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimnhl18

Reaction score
Just brewed my first 5 batch (a 5 gallon IPA) yesterday and things went well for the most part. Made some mistakes with the yeast by not re-hydrating and may not have aerated enough. Waiting for fermentation to begin now. It's been about 18 hours and I have it in a closet in the basement that is about 64 degrees. On to my question. I want to refine my process with a 1 gallon clone kit of Zombie Dirt from NB. Can I use a 5 gallon carboy for fermenting such a small amount?

Welcome to the hobby, addiction, and many great beers in your future. There's no going back now :)

Yes, you can, although its not optimal. Could be a little frustrating decanting it off for kegging or bottling. For a few bucks you might want to pick up something a tad smaller. Maybe re-purpose a 2 or 3 gallon jug from something.

You could always do 2 of the kits for a 2 gallon batch. Not sure how much refining of your process you'll get, as doing a 1 gallon brew is a little different than 5 gal. I personally think the small batches are harder, at least when it comes to maintaining temps. and bottling. Why not just do another 5 gal brew?

Welcome, there's no real need to rehydrate dry yeast, if your beer is over 1.056 then pitch 2 packs in 5 gallons

Takes same time and effort to do 5 gallon as it does for 1 or 2 gallon

When I did one gallon batches I used either 2G buckets or the Liittle Big Mouth Bubbler. Enough headspace so I never needed a blow-off tube and not too much excess space. I do 2.5G batches now. I found 1G a bit easier since it took less time to get to a boil, less time to chill, and less time to bottle. But only getting 10 bottles was a big drawback.

Just brewed my first 5 batch (a 5 gallon IPA) yesterday and things went well for the most part. Made some mistakes with the yeast by not re-hydrating and may not have aerated enough. Waiting for fermentation to begin now. It's been about 18 hours and I have it in a closet in the basement that is about 64 degrees. On to my question. I want to refine my process with a 1 gallon clone kit of Zombie Dirt from NB. Can I use a 5 gallon carboy for fermenting such a small amount?

You can refine your process without actually brewing. Do a water brew, maybe 3 gallons, perform all the steps as if you are brewing.

You can:
Improve your organization
Determine what you can prep ahead of time
Make sure all your equipment is in working order
Determine your boil off rate

Take notes, make adjustments, buy some ingredients and knock out another brew!!

Helibrewer has good advice.. This is exactly how I calibrated my AG equipment before my first batch. Used my "dry run" to determine boil off rate and also cooler heat extraction from water for hittin gpropoer mash temp.

Not sure....maybe others can give better answer but if you do 1 gallon in a full sized bucket/carboy (6-7) gallon....you may end up with oxygen still in there which is not good....i.e. want CO2 to displace all oxygen so smaller headspace is better.

Answering a question you didn't ask, put a tub of water in the closet and set your fermenter in that. Fermentation is exothermic and will raise the temperature of the beer, perhaps only a little, perhaps enough to develop off flavors. The tub of water will help moderate the temperature and assure you of better beer.

Latest posts

Back