It's time to replace my pH meter, and ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
... I'm considering a Milwaukee 102, or alternately, two of the budget Dr. Meter pH100 units (so I can take two meter readings of each sample for double redundancy). For the price of the Milwaukee meter alone I can get two of the Dr. Meter's and a full set of calibration solutions plus a jug of KCl solution. Your opinions and guidance are welcomed here.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-PH1...=B00ST3VTQ4&psc=1&refRID=9FG9J8XWKH5JX491YEH8

Sorry, but have to put it this way...

Scenario: I buy 2 pieces of equipment that I feel are inadequate, but as long as they measure the same, they will be true? If one is inadequate what makes 2 of them good to go?

Personally, if you want to put your trust into something, than 1 item should be sufficient, however if you feel that you need 2 of these items to make sure they are correct, then why not get something you feel will give you a true reading (or a reading that you can live with). I'm sorry, just not make sense to me. I for one would rather go with out for a bit to purchase something that I have faith in.

With that being said.. I do not own a ph meter. Have thought about it, but just haven't convinced myself into purchasing one for my beer.

That meter looks a lot like the Extech PH100 (and the model number is suspicously similar :) ). I've used the Extech for 5 years, no issues at all. I had to replace the probe this last Christmas, but that's normal I think. I use it for all sorts of stuff besides beer: cheese, salami, general chemstry experiments. Used it to check my pH in my pool yesterday.

It has always seemed accurate.

One way it's far better (for me) than that Dr. Meter device is the probe design. It's virtually unbreakable. End of probe is completely flat. You can use it in dirt for soil pH! The flat probe face makes it ideal for cheese.

Extech also makes one that has a refillable probe, the PH110.

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-PH100...eywords=ph100&qid=1564432350&s=gateway&sr=8-2

That meter looks a lot like the Extech PH100 (and the model number is suspicously similar :) ). I've used the Extech for 5 years, no issues at all. I had to replace the probe this last Christmas, but that's normal I think. I use it for all sorts of stuff besides beer: cheese, salami, general chemstry experiments. Used it to check my pH in my pool yesterday.

It has always seemed accurate.

One way it's far better (for me) than that Dr. Meter device is the probe design. It's virtually unbreakable. End of probe is completely flat. You can use it in dirt for soil pH! The flat probe face makes it ideal for cheese.

Extech also makes one that has a refillable probe, the PH110.

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-PH100...eywords=ph100&qid=1564432350&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Not worried about contamination between your pool and beer? Reason I ask is cause I would like to have one for my hot tube, but also for my beer as well...just not sure about mixing the two.

fwiw, I've been quite happy with the Apera PH60 I picked up last year. Competitively priced at ~$80 with replacement electrodes around $30, it has the same specs as my Hach PPro+ with a better backlit display...

Cheers!

fwiw, I've been quite happy with the Apera PH60 I picked up last year. Competitively priced at ~$80 with replacement electrodes around $30, it has the same specs as my Hach PPro+ with a better backlit display...

Cheers!

I actually have this meter at present, and it needs a new bulb. I should have included that as a third option in my OP.

Not worried about contamination between your pool and beer? Reason I ask is cause I would like to have one for my hot tube, but also for my beer as well...just not sure about mixing the two.

Not worried at all. I use it for my reef fish tank as well. Like I said, the probe is flat - no place for stuff to hide. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I'll just say it's worked perfectly for me for 5 years. I meant to do the famous "stability test" a long time ago, but meh ignorance is bliss. Maybe one day.

upload_2019-7-29_17-50-56.png

Not worried at all. I use it for my reef fish tank as well. Like I said, the probe is flat - no place for stuff to hide. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I'll just say it's worked perfectly for me for 5 years. I meant to do the famous "stability test" a long time ago, but meh ignorance is bliss. Maybe one day.

View attachment 637897

Interesting that it's flat. Is it a solid state electrode, or is it a glass "permeable membrane" electrode that must be kept immersed in KCl solution.

Interesting that it's flat. Is it a solid state electrode, or is it a glass "permeable membrane" electrode that must be kept immersed in KCl solution.

Definitely glass membrane. There is a storage cap with a little sponge in it. Every time I use it, I splash just a bit of the 4pH cal solution in there, stick the cap on it, and toss into my Ph Probe bin.

I had a nice Milwaukee before this one that I didn't store properly and it stopped working. I take storage seriously now, but it's just as easy as I described there.

I'm not sure what your budget constrains are but I'd recommend looking at pH meters backed by a reputable company and that feature replaceable probes. I use a Hanna Combo with pH, ORP and temperature. Also based on my experience having a meter that's waterproof and that floats is a good idea too. I've been using their model HI98121 for five years now along with their calibration, cleaning and storage solutions.

phmeter-sml.jpg

And my low-tech method of storing the meter when not in use.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Hanna fan too. I use their pHep5, HI98128, similar to the above but no ORP. Also use their maintenance solutions, and with proper maintenance get way more life out of the electrode than the 6 months guaranteed (probably a couple of years easily with my level of usage.) A great feature is the renewable fabric junction. If it does get a bit clogged, just pull it out to expose a fresh section. Don't honestly remember how long I've had this one, but I'm pretty sure even longer than ScrewyBrewer.

The lower priced DR. Meter requires 4.00 and 6.86 buffers, which is a bit unusual, though doable, as these are available. Does the Extech 100 use the more typical 4.01 and 7.01 buffers?

Do you know if the Extech 110 has any advantages over the Extech 100? Currently it is only $10 more.

I'm leaning toward both purchasing a replacement probe for my Apera pH60, and grabbing one of these two Extech models. This will give me the double redundancy that I believe is necessary for full confidence in pH meter readings. And it will come in at about the price of a single Milwaukee meter.

I just dunked my cheap Amazon meter into my mash again for the umpteenth time and it still works fine. The pH was slightly low, added 1/8 tsp pickling lime (2-gallon batch) and this brought pH up from 5.15 to 5.30 mash temp (or from 5.40 to 5.55 room temp). Perfect. Still works. Still paying zero dollars to replace my cheap pH meter after several years. YMMV

The lower priced DR. Meter requires 4.00 and 6.86 buffers, which is a bit unusual, though doable, as these are available. Does the Extech 100 use the more typical 4.01 and 7.01 buffers?

Do you know if the Extech 110 has any advantages over the Extech 100? Currently it is only $10 more.

I'm leaning toward both purchasing a replacement probe for my Apera pH60, and grabbing one of these two Extech models. This will give me the double redundancy that I believe is necessary for full confidence in pH meter readings. And it will come in at about the price of a single Milwaukee meter.

I believe the only difference is that the reference solution becomes unreliable, you can refill the reference solution in the 110. You have to replace the electrode module on the 100.

As I mentioned here, I bought the ExStik 100 in Nov 2014. It worked perfectly for 4 years. At that point an indicator was shown on the screen that the electrode needed replacing.
I paid $83 for meter, and the replacement electrode was $42.
Reference solution is $20.

If I were to do over again, I'd probably get the 110. I kinda like the idea of replacing the solution, as opposed to a disposable head.

Latest posts

Back