It's Gone, All Gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
The brew for my first keg is now officially gone. I went to pour a glass and all I got was this:
View attachment 110
Since this brew was so good, I want to share the recipe with everyone. This brew was an experiment in style of yeast and in hop schedule. I wanted to do a brown ale, but couldn't decide on American or English. I decided to do both, with the English version going in the keg and the American in bottles. The grain was the same, in fact I did one mash and split the wort. Then did two boils with different hops and yeast. I wanted something dark and chocolatey, without being roasted, and this is what I came up with:

Dark Brown Ale

5.5 Gallons - 1.050 OG @ 75% eff. SRM: 21
7.5 lb. 2-row
1 lb. 2-row (toasted)
0.5 lb. Crystal 75
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb. Cara-pils
0.5 lb. Flaked Barley

With the Crystal, Cara-pils, and the flaked barley it's nice and creamy and pours a good head. It's dark, pratically opaque, like a porter or stout, but without the roasted or coffee flavors. Now the hops. It didn't really come out as a traditional English brown, but it was definately less assertive than the American Version.

English Version - 24 IBU
0.5 oz. E.K. Goldings 5.7% 60 min
0.5 oz. E.K. Goldings 5.7% 30 min
0.25 oz. Willamette 4.0% 30 min
0.25 oz. E.K. Goldings 5.7% 5 min
0.25 oz. Willamette 4.0% 5 min

Pitched with White Labs WLP-005 British Ale

Malty, a little sweet, with chocolate flavors, and a little bitterness on the back end for balance. Head is thick and creamy, especially from the keg. Definately different than from a bottle. I will note that I did not keep my keg refrigerated, but it stayed at cellar temps the whole time. It probably was served at 55 degrees most of the time, which seemed to work out pretty good. The warmer temps let the chocolate come through, in my opinion.
Now to the American version. I wanted to do an assertive contrast to the English Brown, so I used the following hop schedule:

American Version - 46 IBU
0.5 oz. Galena 12.0% 60 min
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.0% 30 min
0.25 oz. Centennial 9.9% 30 min
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.0% 15 min
0.25 oz. Centennial 9.9% 15 min
0.75 oz. Cascade 6.0% 5 min
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.0% Dry
0.5 oz. Willamette 4.0% Dry

Pitched with White Labs WLP-001 CA Ale

My intent was to make something similar to Turbodog from Abita, but I think I went a little further, and I will mention now that if you do make this recipe, do not think of this as a Toubodog clone at all. The end result is a dark brown ale that is assertively hoppy, but with the malt to back it up. The chocolate is not as present as the English version, but still subtlely there. The hops make it seem like a well hopped pale ale, not quite to an IPA, but darker and richer. Right out of the fridge, the hops are strong, but if you let the bottle or glass warm up a little, the sweetness comes through more and makes the beer more balanced. It is still thick and creamy, but the carbonation is slightly different. Not as soft as the keg.
In the end, I like both beers. Each one is different from the other, even though the wort came from the exact same mash. If anyone gives it a try, let me know the results. My "English" version would probably have a better mass appeal, but for the hop-heads here, my American is an interesting experiment into hoppy beer that isn't a pale ale or an IPA.

the american version sounds killer! I'm a hop head myself, yet very fond of browns and porters.I never thought to mix the two. thanks for sharing. its up next on the to brew list.

a shame it's gone!

how long, temp etc did you toast the 2-row? I'm curious as to what it contributes being toasted I personally never tried it yet but wanted to?

I spread it out on a baking sheet and toasted it for about 45 minutes at 350. The grain was starting to turn a golden color, not quite amber.

I love that glass. It's almost perfect. My friend brought it back from Hamburg, Germany. The opposite side has what I'm guessing is the city's crest. In the photo you can see a faint 0.5 L marking on it. The mug is tall but balanced, not heavy, and nice and clear. The only thing that would make it completely perfect would be if it held about 2 oz. more. I can't quite fit an entire 22 oz bottle in it. I'm always about a shot shy. :p

When I poured, I knew I was only going to get about one glass. Had I known I was going to get 4 oz. I would have used something smaller. :)

Back