Its been alomst 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
At 5 oclock today it will be 48 hours, and all of my yeast is still at the bottom of my brew. I slightly unscrewed the cap to listen for some pressure release, there was a little, idk what i could hae done wrong. What temperature kills yeas, and if i did kill the yeast can i add more.

Also what is it called when you activate the yeast then add it

?

Seriously, what's with all these kids posting here now? Is that allowed? :mad:

I like my previous idea...start a "Underage Homebrewers" thread so the blind can lead the blind....

In the fermenter i didnt actually open it i just slightly unscrewed it, does it matter if 17 honestly?

What kind of fermenter has a screw top? That sounds a little... well... dangerous.

"the blind can lead the blind...."

Based on some of the hooch recipes kids have asked about, I'm thinking it's really "the blind can lead the soon-to-be-blind."

its a mr.beer kit, i see a little bit of foam at the top, at least im making beer and not shooting herion.

Ah, Mr. Beer. Never used one, have no idea how they work.

Really, my annoyance at the underage posters is mostly because I don't want there to be any liability against the people who run this site. Nothing personal, you aren't the first nor the last kid to come here for advice. Certainly can't stop you from reading.

the_bird said:
Ah, Mr. Beer. Never used one, have no idea how they work.

Really, my annoyance at the underage posters is mostly because I don't want there to be any liability against the people who run this site. Nothing personal, you aren't the first nor the last kid to come here for advice. Certainly can't stop you from reading.

Honestly im not the one who turns around and sues, I just got in a car accident yesterday for the first time and completly owned up to it.

Uhm, you wouldn't be the one who sues, it would be the person you ran over. You can own up to it all you want, doesn't matter, they will sue whoever they think has culpibility (or whoever has deep pockets).

In any case, it just isn't worth it.

the_bird said:
Uhm, you wouldn't be the one who sues, it would be the person you ran over. You can own up to it all you want, doesn't matter, they will sue whoever they think has culpibility (or whoever has deep pockets).

In any case, it just isn't worth it.

It was just for the point of saying im not going to sue this website, theres no need to worry. I just have a few questions thats all.

In a foods class i took they put yeast into sugar water and i think it was called proofing it, is this similar to starting the yeast?

People aren't worried your going to sue, but your parents might. I will say it now, your 17, you shouldn't be drinking much less brewing beer in your house and we shouldn't be answering questions for you in regards to brewing because it coult be construed that this website is contributing to underage drinking. Nothing personal, but there could be liability.
Besides, whatever happenned to having a bum buy you beer? Before the internet we had to work for it! Kids nowadays:confused: :D

Dan

Just kidding, I do not condone the sale, use, or homebrewing of those under the age of 21.

I'm a little familiar with mr. Beer, and it is totally different than what we're talking about with brewing. With Mr. Beer, you add all the ingredients and leave it alone. It doesn't require proofing or anything like that. You can go to their website and read the full instructions and follow them closely. You don't want to open the lid because that's what carbonates your beer, and lets bacteria in. The instructions we are talking about on this website use totally different ingredients, brewing procedures, and equipment. Mr. Beer is fine and makes ok (drinkable)beer. Just follow the directions, or you'll have sour, skunky, flat beer. ( I do speak from experience on this one!).

Stick with the mr beer website and follow their instructions, or printed instructions. I don't want to give any more advice to kids.

Lorena

does your dad drink? if so have him get into this hobby learn right along with him. that way, when your legal you will actually be pretty good at it.

damn, I wish i was doing this when I was 20, that way I could of brewed about 10 kegs for my 21st

I want to personally thank everyone who has been involved with this particular thread. I have been feeling like cr*p all day. Been LMAO since the first reply. SWMBO feels much better... poped her head in and mentioned how its nice I'm in a better mood :)

Glad we could help.

I've got to say, a part of me likes having all these little kids around. One of my long-term goals is to become a curmudgeon, but it's kind of hard when you're only thirty (a curmudgeon younger that sixty is usually simply referred to as "an ASSH*LE").

In any case, it's nice for me to practice my "those HOOLIGANS with their TOMFOOLERY!" on them.

It's funny because the only time I ever saw a Mr. Beer was at my sons house when he lived with 3 other people ( College ) He said the beer was total P-ss. But it's entertainment value was top notch stuff,, They had it siting on the coffee table and sat around all week watching it work, drooling and waiting for the magic day it would be ready,,Friends would all drop in and stare at it too. THey we're all dirt pour so had dreams of endless supply of cheap beer on tap..it all seemed to good to be true bt alas it ended in disapointment, but of course they drank it anyway...the mr Beer is in a closet somewhere,, lonley and forgoten.

jkenvere said:
It's funny because the only time I ever saw a Mr. Beer was at my sons house when he lived with 3 other people ( College ) He said the beer was total P-ss. But it's entertainment value was top notch stuff,, They had it siting on the coffee table and sat around all week watching it work, drooling and waiting for the magic day it would be ready,,Friends would all drop in and stare at it too. THey we're all dirt pour so had dreams of endless supply of cheap beer on tap..it all seemed to good to be true bt alas it ended in disapointment, but of course they drank it anyway...the mr Beer is in a closet somewhere,, lonley and forgoten.

Ive decided to move to glass carboys already, since i entertain you guys can i hang around and just be the scum of the forum asking stupid meaningless questions until im 21?

Ive decided to move to glass carboys already, since i entertain you guys can i hang around and just be the scum of the forum asking stupid meaningless questions until im 21?

um...........ok.

No seriously, I think beginner's questions are not stupid and meaningless. This forum has helped me (a beginner) tremendously. What is difficult for "old people" like me is the forum has MANY threads on how to brew beer, what kind of equipment to buy, etc and it's so very helpful. Then, a kid comes in and says things like "Can I use my dirty socks under my bed for a grain bag" and thinks Mr. Beer is a beer kit. I've even posted simple wine making recipes for jugs under the bed. I'm not attacking your personally at all- we're all here to learn. (My friend has a Mr. Beer as a matter of fact and we had some of her Vienna lager tonight while swimming in her pool!)

In my case, I have kids probably your age. I'd hate to think my kids were making hooch under their beds because we were giving them advice! Very few of the people I know who make beer and wine do so because it's a way to make alcohol to get a buzz. We're about quality and taste. Not to mention, it's legal for me to purchase, make, and consume alcoholic beverages. I'm not real comfortable with teenagers doing things that are illegal.

Lorena

lorenae said:

um...........ok.

No seriously, I think beginner's questions are not stupid and meaningless. This forum has helped me (a beginner) tremendously. What is difficult for "old people" like me is the forum has MANY threads on how to brew beer, what kind of equipment to buy, etc and it's so very helpful. Then, a kid comes in and says things like "Can I use my dirty socks under my bed for a grain bag" and thinks Mr. Beer is a beer kit. I've even posted simple wine making recipes for jugs under the bed. I'm not attacking your personally at all- we're all here to learn. (My friend has a Mr. Beer as a matter of fact and we had some of her Vienna lager tonight while swimming in her pool!)

In my case, I have kids probably your age. I'd hate to think my kids were making hooch under their beds because we were giving them advice! Very few of the people I know who make beer and wine do so because it's a way to make alcohol to get a buzz. We're about quality and taste. Not to mention, it's legal for me to purchase, make, and consume alcoholic beverages. I'm not real comfortable with teenagers doing things that are illegal.

Lorena

Alright if i follow the rules and post only when needed and when i have a good input, will you guys please accept that i am underage. To tell you the truth i would love to start a brewery out of my fathers business sometime in the future. I know im 17 and most 17 year olds are looking for a good way to get high or drunk, but not so much me. I have had my time in the past, been there done that, and its not all that fun anyways. Who really like waking up with a headache? This is more of a hobby for me than a way to get drunk. Thats is why I came to the forum to look for more advice.

Muntzster said:
Alright if i follow the rules and post only when needed and when i have a good input, will you guys please accept that i am underage.

It's not even a matter of being sued, but the site could be shut down for something so minor as giving advice to minors on procuring alcohol. I'm a moderator at another forum, and we have similar problems. Legal issues bite, but we don't want to cause problems for the site owner.

dancingbarefoot said:
It's not even a matter of being sued, but the site could be shut down for something so minor as giving advice to minors on procuring alcohol. I'm a moderator at another forum, and we have similar problems. Legal issues bite, but we don't want to cause problems for the site owner.

Well i guess im gonna go back to trying to set it up without advise, a minor posting to provide advise to others, if i ever became experienced, would be alright wouldnt it?

If your parents are truly helping you, which no one believes, then they should be on here asking for advise. Please do us all a favor and do some research on the topic. We all did.

Gotta give the kid credit though. Its not illegal to buy homebrew equiptment underage!! HAHAHAHAH!! When I was 17 I would have never thought to actually make my own beer. I always grabbed one of my dad's homebrew wine bottles or paid somebody 5 bucks to pick me up another 30 pack of busch
puke.gif

as far as drinking to catch a buzz, and drinking cause it tastes good.... that will hopefully come with age.

...probably best to stick with posted websites on how to brew beer for now....

Back