Italian Pilsner Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a commercial brewer's explanation of what Italian Pils is:

The first Pils getting canned is the style that I have joked about being a dumb style… Italian Pils. When I first started hearing people talk about this “new style” of Pils a couple years ago, I asked what made it different from other styles of Pilseners. The answer I was given was that Italian Pils is like a German Pils (The main example that people point to as the originator of the style is even brewed with all German ingredients and was an attempt at recreating a German Pils) but it’s dry hopped. If that’s the case, it’s still just a German style Pils. The confusion stems from Germany’s beer purity law which previously stated that hop extracts or powders weren’t permitted to be added at any point after the boil was complete. Many people believed this meant that dry hopping wasn’t permitted and in 2012 the law was updated to clarify that dry hopping with natural hops was allowed, but concentrates, extracts, and powders are still prohibited. However, dry hopping with whole hops was never illegal and has in fact been taught at Weihenstephan since at least 1907. Furthermore, the brewery that “invented” this style opened in 1995. In America, there was breweries brewing all malt Pilsners that were dry hopped with German hops before prohibition, so it’s not like the style was invented in Italy. On top of all that, one brewery brewing a different style in a country doesn’t make a style that gets a regional designation like that.

Source: (credit: this article was recently posted on the LODO forum by vikeman)

https://tombstone.beer/2020/09/24/b...low-oxygen-brewing-techniques-upcoming-beers/
I'm going to try making one, using anteater8's recipe and hop schedule (above) except I'm going to use 100% Spalter Select hops as the originator of this beer discussed in the article posted above by Northern Brewer.

Well, I'm glad to hear that beer in Italy got better, and I'm looking forward to trying some on my next visit there. Whenever that may be.
Regarding beers in the US: I don't know about the 80s, but the situation has steadily improved since my arrival here in the early 90s!

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
Brewhouse efficiency: 85%
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
IBUs: 35
ABV: 5.0%

MALT/GRAIN BILL

7.75 lb (3.5 kg) Weyermann Pilsner Malt
4 oz (113 g) Weyermann Acidulated Malt

HOPS SCHEDULE

0.67 oz (19 g) Saaz at first wort hop (FWH)
0.75 oz (21 g) Saaz at 10 minutes
1.4 oz (40 g) Cascade at whirlpool (15 minutes)
1.4 oz (40 g) Saphir at whirlpool (15 minutes)
This is from Craft Beer and Brewing
Sounds delicious but according to what I’ve read, the cascade addition is out of style.

If that’s the case, then do I get to name the new Pillz style?

Honestly, I had never heard of Italian pilz until a few days ago. I have been calling them hoppy lagers.

The beers I have been brewing have a touch of Munich and Vienna just to give it a more gold color and I have not been dry hopping. A few recent beers I did add up to an oz at whirlpool though.

Either way I really enjoy this type of hoppy lager and look forward to seeing more recipes posted.

Btw- I’ve been drinking Occidental’s NW Pilsner and I love it. Obviously, it doesn’t fit into this style but still a great beer.

My next batch will most likely be an Italian Pilsner. Have looked at Tipopils and Brewdog Lost lager

5 gallons
75% Best Pilsner
20% Best Vienna
5% Best Caramel Hell

145°F 40 min
158°F 20 min
I would have preferred Weyermann Eraclea, but can't get it, adding a bit of Vienna and Carahell to increase sweetness and bread which Eraclea is supposed to give.

OG 1.044
FG 1.009

Hops
@60 Merkur 21 IBU
@45 Smaragd 14 IBU
@WP 1oz Saphir
@WP 0.75oz Saaz
@DH 3 days 0.75oz Saphir

Lallemand Diamond slurry
52°F until a few points left
59°F Diacetyl rest

https://share.brewfather.app/d2wAg6qb0ktXF1