It will be beer, but how bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristiismean

Reaction score
Throwing extras together in a mosh pit of stuff, so it will be beer.

3.3 LBS Golden Light LME
1 LBS Golden Light DME
1 Oz Citra hops at 45 min
.5 Oz Citra hops at 5 min
.5 Oz Citra hops at flame out
1 Oz Citra hops at 1 week (dry hop)
WYeast 1968 London ESB yeast.
68 degree for fermentation

so how bad is it going to be. Help with the hop addition timings would be nice.

Thanks

Despite not seeing your OG/FG/IBU numbers, I think it should probably be pretty good. I'd drink it.

The "get rid of all of this extra stuff" batches are the most fun.

calcs out at 30.14 IBU
3.38%
I need a light beer, so hopefully this one tastes good. and it will carb fast so should be ready to drink in 3 weeks from start.i

can raise that number
with 1 oz at 45 min
1 oz at 15
1 oz at 5 and no dry hopping,
70.31 IBU

3.4% isn't okay (for me). Buy some LME and some bittering hops. Bump to at least 4.5% and use the Citra as late hops and dry hops.

30 IBU seems ok for that strength. I'd try to hit 3.5% abv given it's pale. Darker beers work at that strength a bit better (like milds and porters).

Citra does great as a bittering hop, even if it is considered expensive. Citra makes for a great beer in general. Maybe just do 1oz @ 45, 0.5 oz at flameout, and dry hop with 1.5 oz.

The batch sounds fine to me, especially if you're just getting rid of extra stuff.

I'd drink it - my personal palate runs toward bitter, so I'm happy with the low ABV with that level of bitterness.

This kind of recipe makes beer fun - not enough people sound like they're having fun when they make beer - they stress out way too much about making 'correct' beer.

I agree with Singletrack. That beer is too weak. Put another 2-3# of extract. A citrusy beer should have some malt backbone.

This kind of recipe makes beer fun - not enough people sound like they're having fun when they make beer - they stress out way too much about making 'correct' beer.

I definitely agree. I've been beat up on this forum before over hop schedules and what types of hops I've used for what (dry hop, bittering, flavor/aroma).

At the end of the day, it'll be beer if your process is on point. Additionally, people have been making beer for thousands of years without ever understanding the science behind it. There's a million ways to skin this cat, so different doesn't mean wrong.

Sharing knowledge, methods, and experience should be a priority in the Homebrew community. The only time that "correcting" someone should come in to play is when an objective, empirical study or experiment has been done that proves a certain method wrong. Too many "aleholes" in the community overall.

The only time that "correcting" someone should come in to play is when an objective, empirical study or experiment has been done that proves a certain method wrong. Too many "aleholes" in the community overall.

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :)

I didn't see anyone trying to "correct" anything. I think the OP was asking for opinions -- and got some. Most seemed quite friendly...and avoided name-calling too.

If you want a stronger beer and don't want to buy extra stuff, just make four gallons. Should come out to just about 4%, could even bump that up with 4 oz or so of sugar if you'd like to get it over 4%.

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :)

I didn't see anyone trying to "correct" anything. I think the OP was asking for opinions -- and got some. Most seemed quite friendly...and avoided name-calling too.

I wasn't targeting you with my comment, though we may differ in opinion on hop usage. I'm definitely with you on ABV, though, because I personally don't like brewing anything under 7%. That being said, I've used Citra as a bittering hop just fine, but I understand where you're coming from. Personally I sort of have a love affair with Citra at the moment so I'm feeling sort of Oprah with it. "You get some Citra, you get some Citra, EVERY BEER GETS SOME CITRA!!!"

I was commenting on my experience in these forums, outside this thread, and at my LHBS. I've experienced some serious brow beating and cold-shouldering simply based on different techniques. I don't think you're being an "alehole."

Yep, no correcting, only suggestions, and thank you, All Suggestions were helpful. I decided to not dry hop, but may change if I get to my brew store and pick up another 1oz of citra. I did not want to add any more DME or LME, wanted to use only what I had left and since my beers are always 6.5 or higher, a light 3.5 is actually perfect for this spring when working on my boat and getting it ready for the season (repowering this year). hopefully it has just enough backbone to support the hops.

we ended up bottling it 4/1. it has just now matured enough to drink. It has a fantastic taste tho. so will be trying part 2 will a lot less hops.

going to try bittering with .5 oz at 60, .5 at 10 and .25 at flame out. no dry hopping.

But for citra hop lovers, it is actually a pretty good beer.

Back