It,s been a year since I started.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

It has been a year since I started brewing....and have 28 batches under my belt:rockin: Well lets make that 27 since I had to dump a batch that I was about to keg today. I went to get my hydrometer reading and when I opened the lid the beer smelled sour. Final gravity was 1.01 so I decided to taste the hydrometer sample and .......Sour, vinegar like tasting beer:mad:

Upon inspection of my fermenter I noticed there are some scratches on the inside of my fermenter. I also used spring water for this beer so I hope that is not the reason.

Needless to say I am dissapointed

Eric

Sorry for your loss!
I have been brewing regularly now for a little under 2 years. Some how I now have 2 kegerators, 12 kegs, 4 co2 tanks, 8 carboys, 2 bayou burners, 2 10 gallon kettles, 3 cooler mlt's and who knows what else. I think when you aren't looking the equipment multiplies by itself.

Congrats on your anniversary! My one year mark will be in 3 weeks and I have 19 beers 4 meads and one cider. You win :p

JRems.....it is funny how the equipment list grows. I am hoping to start building a new brewing system soon:D

Whippy...sounds like you have had a busy year too, but if you haven't had to dump a batch...well then you win:mug:

By the way, does anyone on the board think that the water could have been the cause of the bad batch?

I use spring water for every single batch... so I doubt it.

My guess is infection from the scratches?

I think it's the scratches myself. If you have a tap on it,do you take it out for cleaning,including the mounting hole? Dito with the lid? I use PBW & a toothbrush for the lid seal area.

Back