It aint startin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shovhed1

Reaction score
I brewed a Raushbier 48 hours ago and have no airlock activity yet. The smack pack yeast I used was dated 11/07, and seemed to be puffing up nicely when pitched. I've been brewing for 4 years and this is a 1st for me. I dont usually brew from kits, but this was a X-mas gift. I have plenty of yeast on hand. Should I add some now or am I panicking? I always make starters because I brew 15 gallon batches. Darn kits.

3 days is not an uncommon lag time if you didn't make a starter. I wouldn't repitch until it's been at least 72 hours. Also, do you have any other signs of fermentation? Airlock activity is an inexact way to determine whether or not fermentation has begun.

What are you fermenting in? Are you sure you have an air tight seal?

Yep, seal is good. I'm gonna add some yeast if nothing happens soon. Do I need to oxygenate the wort again, or just sneek the yeast in.

I recommend patience until a full 72 hours has passed, then take a hydrometer reading to see if it hasn't been stealth fermenting (aka leaky seal). Also, what temperature are you fermenting at?

When I peeked in, there was no sign of activity, so I pitched 2 tubes of ale yeast in it. It's rockin and rollin now! I'll never brew again without makin a starter.

I'm glad it's going well, and I'm glad you learned something about pitching yeast. However, you really don't know if it's going because you pitched more or because the stuff you pitched finally came around. It's all academic, though, as I hope you never have to find out. :)

TL

I havent had any Airlock Activity in my last 3 batches But I have had Fermentation just rely on your Hydrometer more.

Latest posts

Back