Issues with Spike TC-100?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_D

Master Of My Domain
Reaction score
Just wondering if folks have had issues with their Spike's TC-100 temp controllers or not? From what I can tell, they appear to be rebadged Inkbirds which I thought were pretty reliable. I brewed a porter on New Years Eve/Morning, and it started taking off pretty quick. On day 2, I connected the chill water pump to the controller because the temp had already crept up to 67F with a set point of 66F. A couple days later, I check the data from my Ispindel and see that the temp had a rapid temp drop around 6AM. It got down to 61F, and climbed back up to 66F over the next several hours. I went out and checked everything when I saw it, all looked normal so there was really nothing I could do but wait for it to slowly come back up to temp. The next morning at around 3:30AM, the same exact thing happened. At this point, I figured it had to be something going on with the controller. I unplugged the pump and haven't had any issues since. It's been cool enough in the garage to keep it within set range, that and the bulk of the fermentation has calmed down. It appears that the pump control is getting stuck long enough to drop the temp around 5 to 6 degrees, and then fixing itself. If it weren't for the Ispindel, there's a good chance I wouldn't have even known it was happening. Here's what it looks like:

250E05F1-A559-4E0D-8388-74B12149A397.jpeg

A712391F-46C0-4348-9121-F99FC6F54BCE.jpeg

Last edited:
I should have mentioned, I’ve actually got 2 Ispindels in the CF10.. I thought the first one wasn’t going to phone home so I dropped my 2nd one in. It shows the temp drop too..

23534F91-9A57-4500-9A12-0F18EBACA31F.jpeg

Back