iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too be honest, I don't know what the version number I installed was - I have since bought myself a new laptop and my new one does not have a copy of the fimrware on it, to be able to check which version I installed. Thanks, I will try installing that 1.1 version and test again.

@HarryB my software version says 4.0 so I'm not convinced.
There is something on the Gers site re the repeater for wifi only that mentions about power supply issues causing problems and I will update.

I unfortunately managed to snap the socket off from the repeatidor, when trying to plug it into my USB to update it, so for now it has to wait until I have the patience to try to resolder it back in place.

I ought to have run some hot glue around the socket to help support it, before this - it is not the first one to give way under the strain of plugging and unplugging :-(

I have just noticed that a new version V1.2 has appeared on the site, which seems to suggest it addresses the wifi issue.

@HarryB
Well spotted, I even reinstalled the old one again a couple of days ago, I really should try and read better.
I'll load it up and see how it goes.
He'd even told me about it didn't he I just failed to follow the clues.

Hi I have an issue with one Ispindel that seems to start reliably sending to brewspy and then after say 5 days it becomes less reliable in sending data. Sometimes going many hours or a day without sending any info and then gives up.
I thought that it was an issue with signal getting to the router, but have made a wifi relay ( access point ) as per martin-ger/esp_wifi_repeater with an esp8266 and that is in the ferment fridge.
I can detect the esp access point by the router and even log onto it so no problem of that signal getting out of the fridge. Another ispindel monitoring the keg fridge directly opposite is signalling the same wifi relay and is nearly faultless.
The problem spindel Voltage dropped from 4.1 V to 3.95v over 6 days sending every hour, signal strength seems to be in the - 81 to -89 level . Haven't had a reading for 2 days now and it hasn't sunk this time.

The keg fridge spindel 4.2v to 4.07v over the last 5 weeks sending every 45 minutes signal around -65 to - 77.

Seems strange the signal strength so low for the problem ispindel given that it is inches from the relay .

Is it possible I need to set the ispindels to have there own fixed ip?

Could the frequencies ( channels ) of the wifi networks be clashing not sure how to adjust that on the martin ger device.

Or could it be that the wifi module in the problem ispindel a bit naff.

Any ideas. I know that any question always brings a load of others.

I haven't calibrated the battery conversion factor on either battery due to a lack of a digital voltmeter that can do this. Something I think I need.
Thanks

Hi,
By it's nature (it sends data, no one connects to it), I do not think the ispindels needs an fixed ip.
But that being said, like everything i my network that is not an end user device, I do have it set to a fixed IP in the DHCP server.
I have one minor reasons to do so: I like to know where the are. But also one major: Control/Limit/block internet access.

I'm not very fond of repeaters unless the have at least two radio's (one used to talk to the real AP, the other to send out the SSID on an other channel)
I've seen cases where a WiFi client first connects to the 'real' AP just because it answers a little faster than the repeater. They might later switch the the repeater since it has a better signal. The ispindel however is already back to sleep by then ;) You might try to see if the repeater can send out an different SSID and connect your ispindel to it.

//Tonny

Hi,
By it's nature (it sends data, no one connects to it), I do not think the ispindels needs an fixed ip.
But that being said, like everything i my network that is not an end user device, I do have it set to a fixed IP in the DHCP server.
I have one minor reasons to do so: I like to know where the are. But also one major: Control/Limit/block internet access.

I'm not very fond of repeaters unless the have at least two radio's (one used to talk to the real AP, the other to send out the SSID on an other channel)
I've seen cases where a WiFi client first connects to the 'real' AP just because it answers a little faster than the repeater. They might later switch the the repeater since it has a better signal. The ispindel however is already back to sleep by then ;) You might try to see if the repeater can send out an different SSID and connect your ispindel to it.

//Tonny
I think it's a bit more than a repeater based on this description.

"A full functional WiFi repeater (correctly: a WiFi NAT router)

This is an implementation of a WiFi NAT router on the esp8266 and esp8285. It also includes support for a packet filtering firewall with ACLs, port mapping, traffic shaping, hooks for remote monitoring (or packet sniffing), an MQTT management interface, simple GPIO interaction, and power management"

But the ispindel is set up to only connect to this access point ( which I have given a different name to is that SSID? ) in the configuration. The access point uses the main router for DHCP so i should find the MAC address of the ispindel and then define the fixed ip on the main router?

Bizarrely the ispindel fired out some data today after being quiet for 3 days but now quiet again.

which I have given a different name to is that SSID
Yes, SSID is commonly known as the wifi name
"A full functional WiFi repeater (correctly: a WiFi NAT router)
so i should find the MAC address of the ispindel and then define the fixed ip on the main router?
No, if the repeater performs NAT (network address translation), it will have one IP address (which it got from the router) to talk to the home router, and will give a totally different IP address for your ispindel. NAT will 'hide' all devices from your home router. so your home router will see all traffic coming from the devices 'behind' your repeater (ispindel) as if it was generated by the repeater itself.

*IF* they are in the same network -lets say your home router uses 192.168.54.x addresses and your repeater also gives 192.168.54.x addresses to the ispindel, you will have issues.

So please make sure your home network and the repeater's AP are using different network addresses. (I would not recommend either of them to use 192.168.4.0/24 for that is used by the esp in config mode, and might cause network issues when you have multiple and put one in config mode)

Last edited:
@tonny
Thank you, I will have to look at that and see what's going on. That could be the reason I'm having issues. Pretty sure the repeater might be on the .4.x/24 subnet .
I will investigate. Thanks again.

The esp can work on Station/Access point mode, with the station part getting ip by dhcp from the main router and the AP part on a different network (192.168.4.x/24 by default).

Any advice please.
I have made several ispindel over the weekend and several in the past, but the latest build has an issue.

Appears to flash software via usb ( completes without errors ) but when I turn it on and then reset to get to ispindel access point I don't get the log in page. All I get is a Farylink_xxxx access point which I can't access.
Reading this thread it suggests this is due to the temp sensor not being functional either because broken or not soldered correctly .
I have tried 3 different temperature sensors and repeated reflashing after each but the response always the same.

Is there a way I can test the sensor / Sensors to check I haven't got a succession of duds?

How can I test the circuit to see if it's an attachment to the motherboard or a problem with the D1 mini?

I do have a multimeter and also have an esp8266 NodeMcu if that would help for the diagnosis of the temp sensor issue ( if that's the cause ).

Thought I was using the latest firmware for all of them and they have been fine.
Actually just found out there are updates, 6.6 and 7.0 but when I tried these on the misbehaving one I don't see the farylink AP just blue flashing light.
Returning to 6.5.1 again see the farylink AP.
Motherboard jeffrey 2.69.

Thank you

Last edited:
Flash it with the arduino temperature ds18b20 example. Just change pin fron 10 to 6. You should read the sensor in the terminal window.

Flash the D1 mini ?
Is it a solder job to move something connected to pin 10 to pin 6?
I have managed to load and use putty. Output said unable to read one wire ( temp sensor ) tried 2 more sensors and feel sure they can't all be duff.

I removed the D1 mini and replaced it and it all works.
The problem turned out to be with the D1 Mini and not the temp sensor.

So some lessons learnt here.

Now trying to decide whether I should upgrade firmware to 7.0 or 7.1

Seems scant information on github as to the gains I might get. Experts always assume that they are communicating to experts.

Thanks though.

I have to be missing something I just flashed my firmware 7.1.2 and when I try to connect to the network I see network micropython-d063d0 but its asking for a password. I cant find a default passwords.

never mind I found it

Last edited:
Yes, SSID is commonly known as the wifi name

No, if the repeater performs NAT (network address translation), it will have one IP address (which it got from the router) to talk to the home router, and will give a totally different IP address for your ispindel. NAT will 'hide' all devices from your home router. so your home router will see all traffic coming from the devices 'behind' your repeater (ispindel) as if it was generated by the repeater itself.

*IF* they are in the same network -lets say your home router uses 192.168.54.x addresses and your repeater also gives 192.168.54.x addresses to the ispindel, you will have issues.

So please make sure your home network and the repeater's AP are using different network addresses. (I would not recommend either of them to use 192.168.4.0/24 for that is used by the esp in config mode, and might cause network issues when you have multiple and put one in config mode)

Worked out the dire performance issue when I got the ispindel out of the brew at the weekend.

It was set to my original network so struggling to get signal out of fridge and to the hub. The relay sitting next to it was being ignored. I think I didn't press save when I changed the SSID and password.

Now working great to relay and happy with the new firmware.

Hi everyone,

I found this project very interesting. I would like to know if it is possible to use either a M5Stick5 or ESP-watch than building everything from scratch. M5Stick has 6 -axis IMU sensor, ESP32 (Wifi+bluetooth), integrated battery charger, grove sensor socket to integrate temparature sensor, OLED screen. Everything included it is just less than $15. I have the M5Stick5, so would appreaciate if anyone of you done this before guide me on how to use that as a base.
m5stack/M5StickC

Hi everyone,

I found this project very interesting. I would like to know if it is possible to use either a M5Stick5 or ESP-watch than building everything from scratch. M5Stick has 6 -axis IMU sensor, ESP32 (Wifi+bluetooth), integrated battery charger, grove sensor socket to integrate temparature sensor, OLED screen. Everything included it is just less than $15. I have the M5Stick5, so would appreaciate if anyone of you done this before guide me on how to use that as a base.
m5stack/M5StickC
I'm not sure on your reasoning. The screen is superfluous in the beer you'd never read it and would need to work out how to keep it off, as the light might upset the beer.
Would still need a battery and would it fit in a petling? The device you build does have to float and have the aerial ideally at the top.
You might end up taking it out of the container and disabling screens etc.

Software would probably need reworking I suspect. Is it a saving at all once these hassles and improbabilites are factored in?

Given my non electronic background I have built several, both jeffery style and original stacked motherboards it is better to build them yourself or get a group together and build a few each.
The jeffery MB is well laid out, better aerial position and temp sensor than the original MB i used ( but still working okay ),plenty of instructions that are clear and the Ispindel is well supported.

Hi @DuncB, thanks for your response and suggestions. Some of the reasons are valid such as there requires a rework on the software. Size wise it is 48.2*25.5*13.7mm, out of which important part is width is just 25.5 which seems good enough to keep inside Petling. The screen, we don't need to use it. It has an in built battery, if it is not enough one can keep an extra battery. So, realistically the module itself has everything required to make a digital Hydrometer. If an extra battery required there's a plug in battery case. So, all it required is a software support. I have seen people using it as a TiltBridge device on this forum, So I would like to know if anyone used it as a hydrometer as well or encountered any issues.

M5StickC 18650C

1626858722968.png

Hi @DuncB, thanks for your response and suggestions. Some of the reasons are valid such as there requires a rework on the software. Size wise it is 48.2*25.5*13.7mm, out of which important part is width is just 25.5 which seems good enough to keep inside Petling. The screen, we don't need to use it. It has an in built battery, if it is not enough one can keep an extra battery. So, realistically the module itself has everything required to make a digital Hydrometer. If an extra battery required there's a plug in battery case. So, all it required is a software support. I have seen people using it as a TiltBridge device on this forum, So I would like to know if anyone used it as a hydrometer as well or encountered any issues.

M5StickC 18650C
Still think it's an effort to reinvent the wheel.

As said before not an electronic background and not sure if this device is compatible
Floaty : Wireless Electronic Hydrometer & Thermometer Floaty hydrometer
It uses a MPU6050 amongst other bits. It works off the cloud and still fits in a Petling.
You might be able to work on that.
Good luck.

@LBussy Have you managed to make any progress on your DIY repeater / local display project for the ispindel yet ?
I would like to have a DIY display near my fermentation chamber for easy reference and my TFT screens are due to arrive any day now :)
Cheers

@LBussy Have you managed to make any progress on your DIY repeater / local display project for the ispindel yet ?
I would like to have a DIY display near my fermentation chamber for easy reference and my TFT screens are due to arrive any day now :)
Cheers
I was wondering about this as well, what is the biggest TFT I could order that would work with the esp8266?

The repeater using martin gers software has worked well on an esp8266 to relay to my wifi access point but a setup similar to nautilus would be better.
I couldn't quite work out the size of the nautilus screen / its' specs otherwise looked like a simple build and load in their software.
The repetidor I mentioned above seems to work fine with the little screen now but is tied in to the home network in does display the info needed well though, the brewpiless on it is going to be useful as a temp controller once the other bits arrive for this.

I understand software wise there's a lot of work to be done, but other than software, M5 has all the ingredients hardware wise.
Just make sure the physics works out, an 80mA battery wont last long so you'll need a 18650 or some way to charge it, will that fit in the petling as well?
Also get a petling and the weight of the M5 and battery etc and check that it floats. If it's a sinker all your programming will be for nought.

Depends what you call "progress." :)

I have been working on a different project which includes functionality that I intend to use for this. I'm close on that, so "yes." :) Also, @ZeSlammy was doing some work on this so he may have a different update.

Built my first iSpindel and everything seems to be working fine except that the battery life shows a reading of .01v on the configuration page despite being fully charged (blue light). Assuming everything is in the right place since it booted up fine but I'm not electrically inclined. Anyone else come across this?

Built my first iSpindel and everything seems to be working fine except that the battery life shows a reading of .01v on the configuration page despite being fully charged (blue light). Assuming everything is in the right place since it booted up fine but I'm not electrically inclined. Anyone else come across this?
Maybe this will help:

https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/issues/458

Do you have a multimeter that can check the battery voltage? Should be about 4.2v
There is a battery offset feature and this is normally around 191 you haven't changed that by any chance?

Other than this spurious voltage reading is it working okay?

Do you have a multimeter that can check the battery voltage? Should be about 4.2v
There is a battery offset feature and this is normally around 191 you haven't changed that by any chance?

Other than this spurious voltage reading is it working okay?
Yeah, battery life is just off. Didn't change the conversion factor, it's still 190.80. I'll have to scrounge up a multimeter, but other than that, it's working perfectly.

That is odd, it's not a battery with protection built in by any chance?
I think ( await correction ) that the Ispindel shuts down when the voltage gets lower than a certain point less than 3 V I think, so your Ispindel is "happy " but confusing you.
You say" battery life is just off" , do you mean the reading or that it is shutting down after a while?

That is odd, it's not a battery with protection built in by any chance?
I think ( await correction ) that the Ispindel shuts down when the voltage gets lower than a certain point less than 3 V I think, so your Ispindel is "happy " but confusing you.
You say" battery life is just off" , do you mean the reading or that it is shutting down after a while?
Just the reading. Always shows .01v no matter what the actual charge. No built-in protection that I can tell.

I would just calibrate it and try it out, see what the longevity is like.

Mine last for several weeks but I would always recharge before a brew, but probably could get away with every other.

If you do get a multimeter you can adjust the battery factor if needed. I haven't done it yet ( as only just got a meter that can do this) but the instructions are in post # 1679 by @rsquared.

Depends what you call "progress." :)

I have been working on a different project which includes functionality that I intend to use for this. I'm close on that, so "yes." :) Also, @ZeSlammy was doing some work on this so he may have a different update.

I'm back in front of a PC so I can both update and work some more.

- I got an iSpindHub network up and running while being connected to my Wifi Network (thanks to @LBussy's help)
- it parses data from iSpindles, stores it and displays it in rotation
- Settngs pages for LittleBock/BrewFather/Brewer's Friend/Free URL are ready and working
- I'm working on the "cron job that sends data" making sure I'm only sending fresh data.

Hope for a pre release over the week end.

Back