iSpindle Concentrators, Repeaters, Bridges, Hubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DaveS
Did you get your ispindel pointing / working with brewpiless?
I've got my ispindel reporting to brewpiless and also forwarding onto brewspy, didn't need any extra code.

tbh I havent really looked at it again since zeslammy offered to add brewpiless as a target and have been out of town for work.
Did you get it working using the URL target option ?
Thanks for the heads up

@DuncB
I want ispindel readings to be displayed on the ispindhub LCD as well as in brewpiless web interface.
Is easy to look at the LCD when walking past my fermentation chamber to see all is OK.
It seems to me the method above will only send to the brewpiless ?

Ahh, my brewpiless is set up as a station and access point but using the repetidor software so it displays the ispindel details on the screen but you also can see the usual web brewpiless and then I can read the gravity temp and battery on brewspy as well.

Trouble is you can only point one ispindel at the brewpiless and use that as a relay for one ispindel.

The Slammy gives readout of several ispindels but has to go through that first. Can you look at connecting one ispindel into your network and then to the brewpiless and then from there to your Slammy? Might be worth asking on the brewpiless thread.

@ZeSlammy Very interested in your project and I have been struggling to get the iSpindHub to work but now am stuck!

I have a generic 1.44" TFT that says the driver is ST7735 and have mapped the wiring as below
TFT DI Mini
1 GND G
2 VCC 3.3V
3 SCL D5 SCLK
4 SDA D7 MOSI Data
5 RES D2 Reset
6 DC D3 Data Command
7 CS D8 Chip Select
8 BL D4 Backlight

I flashed the D1 Mini using Brewflasher the 1.4 green v0 rev0 alpha version and managed to configure, I think, the hub IP. I found the web page for iSpindHub but could not work out how to connect my iSpindel or what settings my iSpindel should have.
Then when I connected the TFT screen it went blank and I lost connection to the web page.

Your help appreciated

Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    971.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    878.9 KB · Views: 14
6 DC D3 Data Command
DC is RS and should be connected to D1.
Can you try it out ?

I flashed the D1 Mini using Brewflasher the 1.4 green v0 rev0 alpha version and managed to configure, I think, the hub IP. I found the web page for iSpindHub but could not work out how to connect my iSpindel or what settings my iSpindel should have.
Then when I connected the TFT screen it went blank and I lost connection to the web page.

I need to update the DOC section on the github. I'll do that today.
But normally, you should see a Wifi network called iSpindHub from the iSpindle.
Then go for the "HTTP" service configuration using 192.168.4.1/ispindel (I'll do screen grabs)

Can you try and load a RED TAB version ?
Cause all I see as differences are the col_start and row_start so nothing to do with which pins are used or not.
Code:
    -DTFT_MOSI=PIN_D7
    -DTFT_SCLK=PIN_D5
    -DTFT_CS=PIN_D8
    -DTFT_DC=PIN_D3
    -DTFT_RST=PIN_D2
    -DTFT_BL=PIN_D4
    -DTFT_BACKLIGHT_ON=HIGH
    -DTFT_RGB_ORDER=TFT_BGR

I have tried the red tab version it made no difference The pins in the Platform IO on Github were the same for Red and Green. I have double and triple checked the interconnections and they match your screen shots. I also tried a different D1 Mini - no difference. I re-soldered the header on the TFT just in case there was a dry joint - no difference
For clarity this is what I have done - without the TFT screen connected
1 Flashed with the Red Tab version
2 I think I configured iSpinHub to my wifi network - whether that was totally correct or not is debatable
3 But I was able to find the IP address on the network and bring up the web page however I was not sure it was functioning properly

Then I plugged in the TFT its screen was lit white, the DI Mini blue light was permanently lit and I was no longer able to access the web interface.

Thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks

Yes otherwise it doesn't flash
That in itself is super strange :( I'm guessing when you plug it, it shorts the D1, hence the disapearrance of the Web page
I think we first need to find how to plug your screen and make it work with a simple program.
Do you have an exact reference ? Was there any documentation ?

Yes I agree the TFT may be faulty
I bought the 1.44 TFT from eBay in AU the descriptions are attached.
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Pins 2021-09-28_16-51-03.png
    Pins 2021-09-28_16-51-03.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.44 2021-09-28_16-50-38.png
    1.44 2021-09-28_16-50-38.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 10
So I was sipping my pint and I had this thought when looking at the pins diagram... and disconnected the backlight D4 - et voila
Now I could do with some info how to properly configure the iSpindel

Cheers time for another beer

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
- Get on the iSpindel Configuration Page
- You should see an iSpindHub Network
- Tell the iSpindel to connect to it
- Use the HTTP protocol
- Point to 192.168.4.1/ispindel

Should work

For others playing along at home
No password
Port 80
/ispindel in the path
Success
Although for my iSpindel name the font is a bit large

Next challenge to get rid of the default ISpindel32?and how to forward to Brewfather.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
Also, I have noticed in the web browser that the time zone would seem to be set to French time rather than Australian time.

So I let it log overnight, and when I downloaded the csv file and opened it in Excel there was no data even though it states a file size of 32799 and 4212 lines. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I suggest that an improvement to your project would be to display the angle as this would be useful when calibrating the iSpindel.

Cheers

So I let it log overnight, and when I downloaded the csv file and opened it in Excel there was no data even though it states a file size of 32799 and 4212 lines. Is there something I am doing wrong?
I need to look into the Downloading of files. I guess when the file is too big, the D1 can't handle

I suggest that an improvement to your project would be to display the angle as this would be useful when calibrating the iSpindel.
That can be done. I need to see where on the screen I can put it.

Thanks for your reply
Just realised that I have been logging with an interval of 10 secs which is what I was using to test! Will change the interval to 15 minutes and try again.

Perhaps where the word 'battery' as it is obvious that the next number is the voltage as it has the suffix V?

Update - I can report that the logging, at 15 minute intervals, worked for a while and I was able to download the csv file. But now it seems to have hit a limit, as I can no longer download the csv file. It would really need to log for at least 14 days to cover most fermentations. I use a similar D1 Mini with BrewPiLess and it logs multiple batches of 14 day durations.
Created On:
2021-09-29 08:09:44
Last Updated On :
2021-09-29 21:02:11

File Size : 4318
Number of lines : 55

Cheers

I finally found some time to test this project and It works great with my 1.8" TFT display from amazon.de and I used the 1.77 firmware version.
20211006_210534.jpg
The SG value is out of range because I did not enter the correct formula in the ispindel.
If I may give some remark then it would be about the colors that are used. For me it is to colorfull if you compare it with the Nautilis.
Second remark, I can dowload the iSpindle032.csv but I cannot download the csv file of my own ispindel (nothing happens).
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I just received my 2.0 tft this week so ready to solder this pm.
I have option of nodemcu esp8266 or a D1 mini any preference?

Can I change the name of the access point on it, because my current ispindels are set up thru a D1 Mini relay with a name of EspBooster? I shouldn't need that once this is working.
It looks really good though.

I just received my 2.0 tft this week so ready to solder this pm.
I have option of nodemcu esp8266 or a D1 mini any preference?

Can I change the name of the access point on it, because my current ispindels are set up thru a D1 Mini relay with a name of EspBooster? I shouldn't need that once this is working.
It looks really good though.
I used a esp8266 for testing and it works perfectly.

Yeah ! More feedback.
- Regarding Colors : I'll look into it and will try to offer options
- Regarding Download of files, I'm on it, seems like a file system capacity issue or something
- Regarding the ° sign, it's a font issue

@ZeSlammy
Yeah ! More feedback.
- Regarding Colors : I'll look into it and will try to offer options
- Regarding Download of files, I'm on it, seems like a file system capacity issue or something
- Regarding the ° sign, it's a font issue

While you are busy with all these code changes,please remember to add brewpiless as a target !
Cheers

@korev
For others playing along at home
No password
Port 80
/ispindel in the path
Success
Although for my iSpindel name the font is a bit large

Next challenge to get rid of the default ISpindel32?and how to forward to Brewfather.

I've reached the Ispind hub 1.0.0. by slammy on screen

Can log into the ispindhub on 192.168.4.1

Set the SSID and password for my network.
Have a fixed IP for the spindhub and have set the DNS and gateway and subnet mask.

The router, gateway has it as a wireless client ( with my set ip) and I have enabled it as a supplementary wireless access point ( via its' MAC address).

But I can't access it after the wifi has been input etc and saved and reset ( power cycle) via the IP address that I've set it to. The only access way is via the ispindhub wifi network. Not sure what I'm missing or if i'm trying to achieve something impossible.

Regarding the ispindel setup
set ssid for ispindhub
no password ?
Port 80
path /ispindel

Don't get anything with this on screen.

I've got Service Type HTTP
Token as calculated by brewspy
Server address /ISpindHub
Server port 80
Path / URL /ispindel

any ideas?