Isolated wild... something. ID help wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I put a malt agar plate on my front porch for a few hours. Various colonies grew. I plated a number of them individually on Sabouraud agar. (Low pH + antibiotic.) Five that passed that wicket were individually "pitched" on small amounts of hopped wort for sort of a second bacterial screen and to test fermentation properties. Two are still crystal clear and smell like malt and hops two weeks later. Three, probably of the same strain, got cloudy and smell phenolic, funky, generally Belgian. Which sounds good, except that I'm not sure what sort of microbe I'm dealing with. It is pale yellow, formed a film of sorts, and also has clumped together in small "chunks" (almost like pieces of the film) suspended in the wort. Picture below, and any insight anyone can give will be awesome.

to be honest its almost impossible to tell looking at something like this although the film on top is definitely visible. I don't suppose you have access to a microscope? What you need to do is streak plate one of the cultures allow you to see the look for individual cells growing and also if they are in fact, all one strain. Also how high was your gravity on your "mini wort" batches? Good call btw on the sabouraud agar- I have only ever used malt agar and never really thought of using this...

Do you have a picture of any of the colonies on the plates before you pitched them?

Latest posts

Back