Is WLP002 English Ale supposed to be chunky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter tonight for an Oatmeal Stout I'm brewing this weekend, and it uses WLP002 English Ale yeast. I took the vial out of the fridge to let it warm up while I brewed the starter, but when I went to actually shake it up and pitch it, I noticed that it was quite chunky inside the vial. It kind of looked like cottage cheese suspended in oil (but beige instead of white). I pitched it anyway, and I can see the chunks swirling around in the flask (it's on a stir plate).

Is this normal? I've never seen this before. Every other yeast I've used has been a smooth, creamy consistency. Is this symptomatic of yeast that's been overheated during shipping? Or is it normal? Am I overreacting? The "best before" date is Oct. 17, 2013.

I've used it multiple times. It's always very chunky. Nothing wrong with it.

WLP002 and WY1968ESB are both "cottage cheese" yeasts, especially after it's been on the stirplate 12-15 hours and it's done culturing.

It's perfectly normal.

WLP002 and WY1968ESB are both "cottage cheese" yeasts, especially after it's been on the stirplate 12-15 hours and it's done culturing.

It's perfectly normal.

Yep.

The first I saw it I was a little shocked, but it is exactly what those yeasts do.

That chunking tendency one of the things that makes that yeast floc out so well.

Back