Is what's in these jars enough to inoculate 10 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I'm going to brew today and I was wondering if you guys think one of these jars would be enough or if I should pitch both of them. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of about 7abv and these are pint jars. You can see the levels of yeast in them.

Attachments

• 16487481255404863098743873425390.jpg
    16487481255404863098743873425390.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
Yes, use them both! It may be a bit of an under pitch, but it should work.
Okay. Thank you.
I did leave both to warm on the counter so I will use both. I had already planned to if no one answered me. It's just that, I've been having airlocks blow off with a bunch of foam coming out so, I was thinking about splitting one between the two five gallon buckets. This is with about five and a quarter at the most gallons in each six and a half gallon bucket.

It is hard to say with just a picture. It looks like a good amount of clean yeast. How old is the yeast and where did it come from? Pitching both of them would be a safer bet than just pitching one.
Thank you, too.
It is top cropped yeast from 10 gallons of about a 5.25% beer and it's been in the fridge for maybe 2 weeks.

Ahhh...harvested yeast does not get much fresher or healthier than that. Top cropping has been on my list of things to try out.
Oh, yeah! I wasn't top cropping until about a year ago and now that I've started I would never quit! It is way easier to do than rinsing and it is taking yeast from the most healthy yeast on top instead of the least healthy yeast on the bottom. Also, yes. It seems to produce some really Kick-Ass yeast! I think that contributes to my air locks blowing off. Hahaha!

I've been having airlocks blow off with a bunch of foam coming out
Replace your airlock with a larger diameter hose and bubbler bottle. You'll need to make a larger hole in your stopper or get a tube of large enough diameter to fit snuggly in your carboy's mouth or whatever hole the stopper for the airlock is going into.

Once I started using the larger diameter tube, I haven't used an airlock since. And I'd just bought three new airlocks that now just take up space and have never been used.

Never had any mess from vigorous kreausen's since then either. But larger diameter is the key thing, if you just get 3/8" tube, then you'll still have a mess.

Replace your airlock with a larger diameter hose and bubbler bottle. You'll need to make a larger hole in your stopper or get a tube of large enough diameter to fit snuggly in your carboy's mouth or whatever hole the stopper for the airlock is going into.

Once I started using the larger diameter tube, I haven't used an airlock since. And I'd just bought three new airlocks that now just take up space and have never been used.

Never had any mess from vigorous kreausen's since then either. But larger diameter is the key thing, if you just get 3/8" tube, then you'll still have a mess.
Thank you, brother.
But, I already knew that. What I've been doing is trying to pitch a good enough amount to get it started quickly but, not have it blow over. I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere but in 25 years, I've never found it!😁

Back