Is using priming sugar in a keg as easy as it seems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Do I just rack the beer..add the priming sugar...hit it with co2 to seal it good them let it sit for 3-4 weeks? IF I am carbonating this way would the keg still be carbonated say 4-6 months down the road? THANKS for the help

Do I just rack the beer..add the priming sugar...hit it with co2 to seal it good them let it sit for 3-4 weeks? IF I am carbonating this way would the keg still be carbonated say 4-6 months down the road? THANKS for the help

Yeah, that's pretty much it, but I do suggest putting the sugar in some water and boiling it for a few minutes before putting it into the keg. Then rack the beer in.

As long as your keg seals up well, it'll be carbed 4-6 YEARS down the road.

Just like using a bottling bucket. I'd boil some water, stir in sugar, cool. Dump into keg. Then rack beer on top letting it all swirl together while the beer transfers, just like you would with a bottling bucket.

That sounds great...i just bought 5 more corny kegs from craigslist so I am trying to brew a bunch so I can have a bunch of kegs on stock...thanks for all the replies

I don't use priming sugar without first being absolutely sure that I have a tight seal on the keg poppets. Otherwise, the CO2 just vents out.

I don't use priming sugar without first being absolutely sure that I have a tight seal on the keg poppets. Otherwise, the CO2 just vents out.

Yup. And this is easy to test. Seal the keg with pressure from your CO2 tank and spray it down with soapy water or star san. Leaks will show up as bubbles forming.

Remember, too, that sugar carbing a keg takes about 1/2 the sugar you would use for bottles...

The kegs have a pressure relief for a reason, but lets not use them ;)

There is no change in the amount of sediment using natural carbonation. The yeast and hop particles are already there.

I do get more yeast in primed kegs (you're adding food and, unless you're ridiculously anal, oxygen, so how could there not be yeast growth?), but not a big deal. Maybe the first pint instead of the first cup is yeasty.

Would it also be worthwhile to discuss what happens as you serve using this method? I am thinking you would have enough pressure to serve, but as headspace is created it would have to be replaced with C02 from a tank, right? Assuming everone already has tanks to keep enough pressure in the corney to prevent leaks.

In what ways would sugar be preferable to c02 carbonation?

Thanks!

You don't have to have it on tap while carbing and it stays warm (in the closet) rather than taking up valuable room in the kegerator.

Would it also be worthwhile to discuss what happens as you serve using this method? I am thinking you would have enough pressure to serve, but as headspace is created it would have to be replaced with C02 from a tank, right? Assuming everone already has tanks to keep enough pressure in the corney to prevent leaks.

In what ways would sugar be preferable to c02 carbonation?

Thanks!
Yes, as you serve you have to keep refilling the headspace with CO2 in order to maintain pressure and prevent the beer from going flat.

The main benefits from priming with sugar are (a) kegerator space is not taken up by a keg that isn't ready to drink and (b) you save CO2 in your tank. The gas you buy is more expensive than using the power of the yeast and a little sugar.

Thanks! Love your quote, hehe! Just kegged up ten gallons. My kegs were very full with little headspace and I found it difficult to force carbonate at all. Got some foam through the lines which I had to force out.

Thanks for the great tips.

Back