Is US-05 known to start slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used mostly 1318, 1098 and 1450 which all seem to take off pretty quick (from my typical 1.5L starter).

I'm brewing a blonde ale for the second time (both with US-05) and both times there was a huge lag (like over 24 hours). I'm used to seeing activity in 6-8 hours. I've rehydrated both times.

Is this typical for that yeast? Is it related to the relatively low OG (1.047)?

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this should be expected.

I've used it quite a bit in the past and 24 hrs was about normal as far as my experiences went.

Took off much faster if you pitched slurry from a previous brew.

It depends on your pitching temp and amount of yeast (and age). 05 is a workorse, if you pitched enough good yeast you'll be good. I myself love a good lag. clean ferm, if the pitch was good. Short lag doesn't mean good beer.

US-05 starts a bit slower than other strains, but it is reliable and provided you pitched enough, it will chew through the wort in a few days.

I always have this happen, and I forget every time! I made a really basic blond with pale ale malt yesterday. I wrecked two thermometers (one fell into the boiling wort, the other must have gotten splashed), so I couldn't verify the temp during chilling (it was 95 the last time I checked it).

I moved it to the fermentation chamber and it took overnight to get down to 66 degrees because the fridge has been off if I am not fermenting anything. I'm aiming for 63-64, and it will make it eventually. I just pitched a brand new pack of US-05, dry without rehydrating. I'll let you know when I see activity.

I don't know exactly when mine have started. I usually get the yeast in late in the afternoon. Most often the fermentation has started when I check the following morning. So, in about 12 hours it is going. The worst has been no action in the morning, but when I check the following afternoon it's active. So mine has never taken more than 24 hours.

I use US 05 quite a bit due to lack of options where I am. I can keep it around for a long time. I pitch dry with a healthy amount and never see it go beyond 12 hours. It’s usually glugging away by thrn

I use US-05 and have had good experience with it but this last batch seems to have stalled out after 3 days. Should I be concerned?

I just pitched 2 packs into my 1.094 Old Rasputin RIS. At 65deg and exactly 13 hours before any activity. I also oxygenate with pure oxygen for a minute before pitching.

I use US-05 and have had good experience with it but this last batch seems to have stalled out after 3 days. Should I be concerned?

Hi there. How exactly did you determine that the yeast or fermentation has stalled? Have you taken a hydrometer sample, to check the actual gravity? Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. What was the OG and the predicted FG?

I look at the yeast as aquatic creatures. It makes sense to me that pitching yeast that is in an 85 degree environment to a 65 degree environment will be bad for them. I have had the shortest lag times when rehydrating and then pitching at temps within a couple of degrees of my rehydration solution. That said, US-05 is orders of magnitude slower than other yeasts. It is the tortoise of yeasts, slow and steady. It doesn’t have a huge krausen and takes longer to finish, but has no problem with 12% ABV whatsoever. Assuming I have treated the yeast right, I see first signs of life in 2-4 hours and after 8-12 hours, it is burbling right along. In contrast Nottingham starts in 1 hour and is blowing off 4 hours later. Same with S-04.

I checked last night before bed - no real activity. This morning, there is a layer of foam. So less than 24 hours, but not much less.

24 hours to wait for the yeast to really take off and make some " noise ", it's not that bad. I've seen a thread recently on this forum, about some new information regarding dry yeast and fermentation, which will be made available soon.

It's not known who, but most likely Fermentis or Lallemand:

I just used US-05 the other day for the first time in awhile (mostly utilize liquid yeast strains now). As a small batch brewer, I tossed the entire packet into 1.5 gallons of wort and holy cow - damn thing nearly EXPLODED after 12 hours!

Checked my ferm chamber and krausen was spewing out of the airlock and had covered the entire top lid of my fermenter. It was insane how quickly it took off and how aggressive it was.

In the past though, I've usually had plenty of activity going by 12 hours. I tend to ferment most of my ales at 66°F, so definitely pay attention to your fermentation temps and pitch rate. Also, make sure you're pitching as close to your targeted ferm temp too.

Hi there. How exactly did you determine that the yeast or fermentation has stalled? Have you taken a hydrometer sample, to check the actual gravity? Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. What was the OG and the predicted FG?
After doing a gravity check, I'm very pleased with the early results. Activity in the airlock stopped after 2.5 days and I got a little concerned. Usually I see activity in the air lock for at least 5 days. I was afraid that maybe I pitched a tad early before the temp came down. Right now it's sitting at 1.023 with the og at 1.054.

After doing a gravity check, I'm very pleased with the early results. Activity in the airlock stopped after 2.5 days and I got a little concerned. Usually I see activity in the air lock for at least 5 days. I was afraid that maybe I pitched a tad early before the temp came down. Right now it's sitting at 1.023 with the og at 1.054.

Is 1.023 the reading from your hydrometer or refractometer? If you used the hydrometer, then you still have some points to go. If you used a refractometer, you should use an online calculator to get the correct gravity reading.

i pitched a small 2 week old sloppy slurry and it started super quick.

i would like to add to this. the fermented has blow the lid 3 times and i cant stop the yeast from going up my blow off tube and clogging the darn thing. this is the 3rd beer i have made with 05 that is so active it blows my lid.

24 hrs into ferment with 05. Slow is not the problem.

MVIMG_20180525_223550.jpg

I look at the yeast as aquatic creatures. It makes sense to me that pitching yeast that is in an 85 degree environment to a 65 degree environment will be bad for them. I have had the shortest lag times when rehydrating and then pitching at temps within a couple of degrees of my rehydration solution. That said, US-05 is orders of magnitude slower than other yeasts. It is the tortoise of yeasts, slow and steady. It doesn’t have a huge krausen and takes longer to finish, but has no problem with 12% ABV whatsoever. Assuming I have treated the yeast right, I see first signs of life in 2-4 hours and after 8-12 hours, it is burbling right along. In contrast Nottingham starts in 1 hour and is blowing off 4 hours later. Same with S-04.

I have not found this to be true. I don't keep exact tabs because I close up my fermentation chamber and usually don't even check it until the next morning. They are all started by then. I have seen no appreciable difference between US-05, Nottingham or S-04. They are all done by the time I package at about 14 days. (or longer) Whether one is totally finished at day 5 and another at day 7 makes no difference to me.

Back