Is this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimKonn2

Reaction score
This mead has been in secondary for about 2 weeks now. pitched yeast 11/17. this is my first batch, so im curious if i should be worried about the stuff floating on top..

Attachments

• 20171228_070946.jpg
    20171228_070946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 435
Don't think that that is anything to lose sleep over but what was the gravity of your mead when you racked it 2 weeks ago? What is the gravity today?

Don't think that that is anything to lose sleep over but what was the gravity of your mead when you racked it 2 weeks ago? What is the gravity today?
when i racked, it was 1.010. i took it about a week ago, and the reading was still at 1.010.. i poped the top off last night just to see if it had an off scent, and it did not

Either yeast, or bubbles. Maybe it's just hard to tell in the picture. But I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know anything about meads. The picture doesn't show anything that would worry me with beer, wine or cider. What is of concern is that you say the gravity has not changed. That means to me that you have had no fermentation and nothing is happening to the mixture.

Either yeast, or bubbles. Maybe it's just hard to tell in the picture. But I wouldn't worry about it.
i hope so, wasn't sure if yeast did that or not.. i took this pic after a slight tilt of the carboy.. almost like it clouds up and eventually floats back to the surface

Attachments

• 20171227_223454.jpg
    20171227_223454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 255
I don't know anything about meads. The picture doesn't show anything that would worry me with beer, wine or cider. What is of concern is that you say the gravity has not changed. That means to me that you have had no fermentation and nothing is happening to the mixture.
yea, 1.010 is the gravity where my yeast 71b should have stopped in the perfect world at 14%. im basically letting it sit in secondary to clear up

Yup, looks like yeast. No off aromas - it’s all good. How’s that saying go? “Don’t worry, have a home brew!”

yea, 1.010 is the gravity where my yeast 71b should have stopped in the perfect world at 14%. im basically letting it sit in secondary to clear up

This is normal. You're seeing yeast in solution.
When the mead starts to clear, it clears from top down, flocculating to the bottom. There may still be some more fermentation as the hardier cells stay active and you'll see some small bubbles collect in a ring near the surface later as the yeast compacts.

Back