Is this the Right Yeast to Use ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
So I go to LHBS yesterday and get some ingredients to make an American Wheat. Simple Recipe - 4 lbs. Wheat Malt, 4 lbs 2-Row with Willamette and Cascade hops. The recipe I had called for Wyeast 1010 yeast, which is their American Wheat strain. My LHBS only carries White Labs, so I asked for the equivalent which they didn't have. The guy there then goes on to give me a big speech about how the American Wheat strains are just a marketing ploy and not a good choice for the style and he gives me a vile of WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. So I come home and check out if what he's saying is true. Now I found an origin chart and American Wheat is a Kolsch strain on both the White Labs and Wyeast side, but on the chart White Labs has for suggested yeasts and styles it does not rate WLP029 as a great choice for an American Wheat. They do, however, show their Alt strain (WLP036?) as great for it. I'm tempted to bring the vile of 029 back and trade it out. Anyone have any thoughts on whether to try it or not?

It will be different but that does mean it will be bad. I would get a vial of 036 or the american wheat if you can get it. Then split the batch and try both. Cost a bit more but you will know for yourself what the difference is and what you like. Also with a half batch you shouldn't need a starter unless your og is high. And you can harvest a full pitch of both yeasts in a week or 3 so the extra money won't be wasted.

definite case of personal tastes. Always take something back if your unhappy with it, but it can be a nice experiment if you split your batch and compare yeasts. You never know, the guy at your shop might be right.

*shrug*

Usually, when "American" is in front of the name it really broadens the interpretation, within reason. If you want to stay according to what the Style guidelines dictate for American Wheat, then the Kolsch yeast is a good choice because it has also been referred to as a "pseudo-lager" yeast, and will be somewhat similar to a Lager yeast when fermenting cool.

"Ingredients: Clean American ale yeast, but also can be made as a lager"
(from bjcp)

So there you have it. You can use otherwise and it should be fine. The Kolsch is nice, because it is low flocculating and you can get some cloudiness if you like when the Wheat beer is still young.

The Kolsch yeast will be just fine. I used Wyeast German Ale yeast in a recent beer, it's probably a similar strain. Nice and cloudy, just like a wheat should be.

Widmer uses a variant of the Alt strain which is WLP036 or WY1007. White Labs carries the actual Widmer strain as WLP320, Wyeast doesn't have it. It's probably bred to be less flocculant than the original German strain. WLP036 would be my first choice, or WLP320 if you can get it. The Kolsch strain, WLP029, is a good second choice. As long as you ferment it very cool (60-62*F) it will turn out fine.

I'm brewing a wheat/rye this weekend with WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast.

The printed recipe for JZ's American Wheat lists either WLP320 American Hefeweizen or Wyeast 1010 American Wheat, but if you listen to the podcast of The Jamil Show where they're discussing that recipe, he says he's decided that the best yeast to use for the recipe is actually a Kolsch yeast (WLP029).

Have a listen to the podcast.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I also have a vile of Cal Ale 001 I could use, but now I'm interested to see the results with the 029.

Back