Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machinedrum

Reaction score
So I just moved into a new house and I unfortunately have to keep the kegerator in the garage next to the chest freezer. I wanted to plug them both into the same outlet, but the outlet lays horizontally, and the plugs have a very thick part of the cable coming out at about a 45º angle, so it prevents me from plugging both into one socket. I can supply a pic if anyone is wondering what I mean.

As far as I understand, it's a fire hazard to have any major appliances like a freezer or a kegerator on an extension chord. I didn't know if this three prong adapter would pose the same risk as an extension chord. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9867.JPG
    IMG_9867.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
My 3 beer fridges have yet to catch fire and all are on extension cords.

Wrt using extension cords to compressor-driven appliances, it's all about wire gauge and distance vs load.
Inserting that adapter adds virtually no distance, and the internal conductors are likely stamped brass (so, hunky compared to, say, 16 gauge wire). I'd be quite comfortable with the adapter.

That said, it's not a great idea to run multiple compressors on the same branch circuit as the startup currents for each unit when aligned can be enough to trip a breaker that's reasonably sized for that circuit...

Cheers!

Wrt using extension cords to compressor-driven appliances, it's all about wire gauge and distance vs load.
Inserting that adapter adds virtually no distance, and the internal conductors are likely stamped brass (so, hunky compared to, say, 16 gauge wire). I'd be quite comfortable with the adapter.

That said, it's not a great idea to run multiple compressors on the same branch circuit as the startup currents for each unit when aligned can be enough to trip a breaker that's reasonably sized for that circuit...

Cheers!
Can you tell the amperage of the circuit? Most household circuits are 15amp, but some garages are wired to 20amp for power tools or compressors.

You can check thr startup current for both units and find out uf you exceed the circuit amperage.

Can you tell the amperage of the circuit? Most household circuits are 15amp, but some garages are wired to 20amp for power tools or compressors.

You can check thr startup current for both units and find out uf you exceed the circuit amperage.
I think I'll do that. I'm almost positive everything in the house is on a 15 amp circuit. We're renting so I'm not totally positive.

My fridge uses 80-175 watts when the compressor is on, so let's add a safety factor and assume yours uses 3x as much power. Let's also assume the compressor startup is 3x higher than the normal peak usage. You have two fridges. The peak power consumption would be 175*3*3 watts, or ~1.6 kW. On a 115 V line, that will be 14 amps. I would go for it. It's not an unsafe current when running for short time.

(The welding community says sustained high currents could be a fire hazard, but that's not your usage.)

Edit: I forgot to multiply by two, for your two fridges! The upshot is that if my pessimistic "3x as much power" figure is actually correct, you will trip your breaker. It still won't cause a fire, as it's just for a moment. Sustained 14 A is more dangerous than 28 A for an instant. If your fridges aren't power hogs, you will be totally fine.

Last edited:
Wrt using extension cords to compressor-driven appliances

apparently people have been reading the thread about not cussing people out for typo's! lol, or maybe it's just late and the homebrew is flowing!

i've run two regular fridges on one plug before, no fires or tripped circuits....

honestly i think my whole kitchen with three fridges is on one circuit, 15 amp....just different plugs...

Back