is this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
The first 2 batches of beer I made came out great. !st was with cooper draught hopped syrup, the 2nd was with 2 cans of muntons old ale hopped. anyway here is my 3rd 1lb muntons plain extra light dme, 3.75 lb can coopers canadian blond hopped, 1lb crystal malt 10l, 2 small packs yeast. (under lid) I made the yeast starter 3 hours in advance. The next morning the airlock in the primary bucket was bubbling more than the first batches. ( like every 2 seconds) It was completely flat on day 4. No bubbles on the liquid surface. I then transfered it to the 5 gallon glass carboy on the 5th day. I had small bubbles in the neck for only 3 days. Now nothing. and there is alot of small pieces of stuff hanging around. It looks like it came from the crystal malt but I shook the bag for about 4 minutes. Anyway since the fermentation has seemed to have stopped, when should I bottle it and what do you think I did wrong?

Unfortunately your beer has a massive yeast infection, you should check your hydrometer, and see if it is done fermenting or if the infection has taken hold and still has control over your beer.

The floaty bits are likely yeast in suspension, nothing to worry about.

In order to assess whether you're done or not, we'll need some hydrometer readings. What were your starting/final gravities?

I did not use a hydrometer in this or the other 2 batches I made. ( I just bought one over the weekend) Like I said before I just started making beer jan 1st this year and I didn't know anything. I was told there was no need for a hydrometer just let it stay in the glass carboy 2 to 3 weeks. But in both of my first batches, 2 to 3 weeks later there were a small amount of bubbles in the neck of the glass carboy. Now on this batch has no bubbles after 4 days. I will now use a hydrometer for all future batches. So when do you recomend I bottle this latest batch? Or should I dump it and if so what went wrong?

Oh, no, it sounds ok. Don't consider dumping it until it grows legs!

Since you now have a hydrometer, you can sanitize a thief or a turkey baster, and remove your sample. Then put it in the hydrometer jar and check the SG. We'll be able to tell you your next step based on that.

Make sure you drink your hydrometer sample, and look at it to see how clear it is. Then let us know that, too, ok?

I'm fairly sure your beer is ok, but if you let us know the SG and how it tastes, we'll be able to be more specific.

thank you brew mistress..........the reading is 1.06 the beer is very cloudy but it taste great, just a tiny touch bitter. I did not take a reading in the beginning because I did now have a hydrometer until a few days ago.

You need to be very sure about that reading. If it's 1.06 it'll taste like candy. If it's 1.006 it'll taste like beer. Which is it? A hydrometer can be confusing until you get the hang of it.

sidebung said:
no it's 1.06 on the head

Make sure that the hydrometer is floating freely and not touching the side. I'll find a picture to link to, so we can be sure of your reading.

Edit- I found this in Biermuncher's gallery. Here is 1.060.

7451-RIS_91.jpg

Is this where yours is reading, or is yours deeper in the cylinder, reading 1.006?

I am sooo sorry It's 1.006 I am new at this and I read the hydrometer wrong. You all have my permission to flog me lol

chicago subburb..........so recaping......... I made the wort with no hydrometer reading. It was violent for 3 days and then went dead. I transfered it to the glass carboy on the 6th day. There are no bubbles in the carboy. I bought a hydrometer and the reading now is 1.006 The beer tasted good but slightly bitter. As of today the beer is a total of 14 days old. It is very cloudy. When should I bottle it?

Whenever you'd like. I'd probably wait until it cleared up a bit, because whatever sediment that will drop is better to drop in the carboy rather than your bottles.

Anytime in the next three weeks would be ok.

so the only reason to delay it is to let the beer settle more? Nothing is the flavor will change?

I find that a lot of yeast in suspension will change the flavor... as it clears it looses that bready flavor I associate with green/unfinished beer.... when there is a lot of yeast in the beer. Also if your not a big drinker of HB, a lot of yeast can... be interesting, lol.

If the beer is done, seems to be, and it in the secondary, if you can cool it, that will make it clear faster. Other than that give it a few weeks. Minimum brew day to drink is like 4 weeks i'd say.

Ahhhh...yeast in the beer...You'll be fine but if you have a SWMBO she will hate you for at least 24 hours after drinking a few bottles.

:tank:

Back