Is this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
Ok so I did my first all grain brew today. I did 5lbs of wheat and 5 lbs of maris otter. Brewbuilder had it at 1.057 OG. I put 3.5 gal of 170F water in the tun then added the grain. I stirred like crazy. when I was done it was at 155F so I closed it up for 1.25 hrs.At this time it was at 150F and I drew first runnings. I then sparged 3 more gallons for 20 min and took second runnings. I then sparged 1 last time with 3 gallons but left probably 1 gallon of wort in the tun as I was at 6.5 gal in my wort before boiling so I stopped. I took a SG reading which at 155F came out 1.034???? Well I boiled it anyways of course. After 1 hr boil I came in at 1.050 at 70F with 4.5gallon left??? This seems like a huge swing between my original wort and my end of boil wort. How bad did I do for efficiency as I used 10lbs of grain? Was this good for my first AG?

Plug your numbers into an efficiency calculator. I'm drinking and am being lazy!

You can check this at pre boil volumes with a simple equation. Cool and correct to 60 degrees.

Preboil OG x Vol = Postboil OG x Vol

Bull

Remember that a reading at 155 degrees is worthless- anything over about 100 degrees is not even close to accurate. Once you cool the sample to under 100 degrees in a pitcher of ice water or in the freezer, then you can check your preboil gravity and use a temperature correction chart to correct the reading at your calibration temperature.

Remember that a reading at 155 degrees is worthless- anything over about 100 degrees is not even close to accurate. Once you cool the sample to under 100 degrees in a pitcher of ice water or in the freezer, then you can check your preboil gravity and use a temperature correction chart to correct the reading at your calibration temperature.

:confused: I did not even think of this. Well it is to late now my beer should be about halfway into starting its ferment.

Back