Is this recipe any good? Changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some tweaking, and comparing to other similar recipes, I am considering doing an 10 liter batch (2.5 gallons) of something like:

-make a mash of malted barley (1 kilo) and yellow corn (250 grams, flaked and boiled already) in about 2 liters of water, cooking at 65ºC for an hour.

-move the mash to a larger stainless steal pot, filtering out the grains with a grain bag, add the rest of the water (8 liters thereabouts), dip the bag a couple of times, bring the mix to a boil.

-add the hops (45 grams) and 600 grams of brown sugar gradually while boiling during the course of an hour.

-cool the pot until it reaches room temperature

-move the contents of the pot to a fermenting container adding 15 grams of diluted yeast.

-let sit for 2 weeks

-siphon the contents to the bottling container, mixing in 100 grams of brown sugar which had been boiled/dissolved in water.

-bottle and wait for 6 days.

This leaves out the sanitation method, and some other details (which I really don't feel like typing out), but does this sound like an acceptable mix?

The recipe I posted had malted barley (though I only cited barley), sugar, water, hops, and yeast. What are you talking about

I'm sorry I'm not trying to come off with an attitude, but the information has been presented. The need to elaborate further isn't necessary since you wanted to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm not sure what other recipes you are comparing to that use mostly brown sugar and adjuncts as fermentables. Since you seem insistent on this recipe, just make it and report how it turns out. From what I can guess this will be dry and will have a hot, alcohol like flavor and could possibly be undrinkable. Then again, you didn't say what kind of yeast, hops or barley you're using, however with that recipe I don't think it would make very much of a difference.

Well it just seems that some of the other forum members don't understand that we are trying to make a malt mash instead of using malt extract. It's impossible to get malt extract around here (southern Spain), there aren't any homebrew stores because homebrew is not a thing they generally do in Spain, and making a mash for beer is not unheard of. As for repeating the recipe, I am trying to get the quantities closer to what other recipes use for what would be a 2.5 gallon batch (around 10 liters).

The brown sugar: it will do the same job as corn sugar or any other primer sugar. There are some recipes that add sugar while the mix boils, see this page: http://eartheasy.com/eat_homebrew.htm

So whether it is brown sugar or not shouldn't effect the flavor that much. Though after considering that I am changing the quantities, the amount of brown sugar should be reduced to less than half a pound to avoid the hot cane sugar taste....

If I'm not mistaken brown sugar is sugar and molasases. Depending on how dark the brown sugar is, it will have a drastic effect on flavor vs. Corn sugar if you are using significant amounts as your fermentable sugars. Again, the type of yeast hops and barley would also assist in the outcome of your beer.

It's impossible to get malt extract around here (southern Spain), there aren't any homebrew stores because homebrew is not a thing they generally do in Spain

I posted a link to a homebrew supplier in Barcelona, so it isn't impossible.

I don't think your recipe would taste at all good.
I don't know what malt, hops, or yeast you are using, but you seem to have far too much corn and sugar in that recipe.

-a.

Latest posts

Back