Is this pH meter good enough for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using that one for my last few brews including a sour-wort Berliner. I had to calibrate it initially with the control solution it came with, but it seems like it's pretty good so far.

No. It has insufficient resolution, lacks ATC, is analogue and is only capable of 1 point calibration. Doesn't common sense tell us that we aren't going to get anything we can use for $12?

No. It has insufficient resolution, lacks ATC, is analogue and is only capable of 1 point calibration. Doesn't common sense tell us that we aren't going to get anything we can use for $12?

Yeah it does haha! I just thought that since homebrew finds listed it that it might be good enough. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the Milwaukee that I have had my eye on. Thanks AJ!

Any thoughts on this one?

Etekcity® 0.05pH High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC and Backlit LCD, 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01pH Resolution Handheld pH pen tester

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on this one?

Etekcity® 0.05pH High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC and Backlit LCD, 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01pH Resolution Handheld pH pen tester

It has 4 stars on amazon with over 200 reviews... so tempting for the price :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It has specified accuracy of ±0.05 pH. As all pH meters are accurate to their precision right after calibration that means this meter is unstable. Based on this I would say answer that no, it is not suitable for brewing.

Or, in terms of the discussions here, it sucks but only half as badly as the really cheap one.

Funny story. I bought this exact ph meter. Surprisingly it could "get you by" considering the low cost as I compared the reading to my buddies nicer meter. HOWEVER, it fritzed out on me just a day or so after Amazon's grace period for returns. I made a post on Amazon saying wouldn't you know the meter would die a day after the warranty expired. So...I get this email from the company saying they would send me a new unit if I would edit my review. Ok, so I did, and they sent me a new meter. I was honest saying the meter died but the company made good on the problem.

I have not even taken the meter out of the box since in the meantime I bought a Hach Pocket Pro+. I REALLY like it albeit that unit costs around $120 plus shipping

In summary, the meter you are asking about may minimally get you by, but it is almost a disposable meter.

I have the exact same one. It seems pretty stable and accurate on it's first use, but it becomes unstable (and totally inaccurate) as soon as it's submerged in anything. So... almost useless, unless you're willing to calibrate everytime it touches something.

Back