Is this overkill for 5 gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FujiVT

Reaction score
In preparing for the move to all grain, I want to look at building a mash tun. I can get the below cooler for $19 at my Walmart, but was wondering if 70qt is too much volume? Is there such a thing? In theory this would allow me to do 1 - larger batches, 2 - more grain and zero sparge (although I think that might be a waste of grain).

Is there any advantage of getting a SMALLER cooler other than storage space?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/23795246

It might be hard to cover your grain with the strike water if the container is too wide. You may need to tweak your strike to sparge water ratio to make it work. In my experience, having equipment that you can grow into is always a good more. That said, do consider the longevity of your equipment. False bottoms usually work better than the screens used for coolers as they flow better and improve efficiency. The hardware is where the cost becomes apparent.

Last edited:
I built my mash tun from a 45 qt. cooler, and find it plenty big enough for 5 gallon batches. For average gravity beers, I'm sure I could handle 10 gallons. I batch sparge.

The drawbacks to an oversize cooler are a thin grain bed and large air space, which results in losing heat much faster than a cooler more nearly full.

You can do a no-sparge setup. I went from three-vessel to two-vessel a year ago and wouldn't go back. Less hassle during brewday, and easier to calculate your targets without the sparge water. I use a 5gallon/37L mash tun for 16L post boil volume, and can go up to about OG 1.115

My mash cooler is 50Qt. and I would say is perfect size for 5gal batches. I maxed it out once with the imperial Russian stout I made that the grain bill was over 14lbs. with the strike water I was up to the edge. Ive been able to maintain temp by 1-3 degrees on a 90min mash.
Although I like the set up I am considering going BIAB with a new kettle. Too bad your not closer you could have mine.

My mash cooler is 50Qt. and I would say is perfect size for 5gal batches. I maxed it out once with the imperial Russian stout I made that the grain bill was over 14lbs. with the strike water I was up to the edge. Ive been able to maintain temp by 1-3 degrees on a 90min mash.
Although I like the set up I am considering going BIAB with a new kettle. Too bad your not closer you could have mine.
Do you use a manifold or bazooka screen?

I did the stainless braiding from a plumbing hose. Never had an issue with it and couldn't tell ya what a stuck sparge was like. I did similar to the instructions found HERE but with a rectangle cooler

I do 5 G batches in a 50 QT with a custom bag. Much easier than a false bottom, bazooka screen or braid...and more efficient. I have a Bourbon County Stout brew coming up with 25 lbs of grain. I've looked at a couple calcs that say it'll be big enough for that.

In general, the more air space you have open in the cooler, the more it will lose temp. I've heard, but haven't tried it, that you can lay a piece of foil over the mash to help mitigate that.

I have the exact same cooler, but mine is the Xtreme 6 version (supposed to keep ice for 6 days as opposed to 5, so presumably a little thicker insulation). I've used for multiple batches over years. What I do is heat my strike water to about 170-175, then allow that to sit in the cooler for 10 to 15 min. After that I check the temp, and if it's still too hot, I stir with the top open until I'm down to a degree or two over my calculated strike temp then add the grains to the water. By the time I've stirred out the clumps, I'm at the strike temp, and close the lid. I've never lost more than 1*F over an hour or more with that process, and that's even with pretty cold ambient temps. FWIW, I use a stainless braided plumbing hose as my sparge manifold, with a copper wire coil inside to help it keep shape. I've never had any sparging issues with that.

I will say that I originally went the 70 qt route because I was thinking I might do 10 gal batches at some point, but I haven't done that yet. Still, it works fine for me for 5 gal, although I freely admit I could've gotten away with a 50 qt size for what I've actually been doing to this point. The 70 qt size would also allow me to do a much bigger barleywine/imperial stout than I would've been able to do with a 50 qt, but again, I've never actually brewed one of those either!

Last edited:
Back