Is this ok? Looks horrible.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
Went to do a gravity on my first all grain brew. A wheat beer using Safbrew WB-06. It's been 2 weeks in the primary. Maintained at 64F but did have one day it's temp dropped to like 54F. It's OG was 1.052 at 70F and today gravity was 1.024 at 64F. It smelled like all my other extract batches but looks horrible. I'm thinking maybe I fermented it too cold so the yeast are not able to do their job? I could not get the courage to try a taste. Here is a picture. What should I do with this? Raise the temperature maybe? Stir it up to try and get things moving? I would imagine if it was bad it would not smell normal.

beerproblem.jpg

It shouldn't be since I used pellets. Shouldn't all of that stuff have dropped to the bottom by now?

Wait this stuff has been in primary for 2 weeks. This is nothing like extracts or BIABs I have done. What do I do with it from here? Longer in primary? rack to secondary? bottle? Why has this stuff not settled out? Wait longer? I'm asking where to go from this point as I really got no clue. My gut says to wait another week.

Wait another week. If it still looks the same... Wait longer. You'll be fine and the brew will be worth it

looks fine, just a bit chunky. another week in the primary is a good thing and then bottle. no worries.

hard to really see whats what in the the picture. but as far as i can tell it looks pretty normal. just fermentation crap floating around.

Thanks I will let it sit another week. I was really expecting to bottle it this weekend. I guess fermenting at lower temps must be why it is taking longer.

Even though it's been in the primary for a decent amount if time, I can't help but think that with an OG of 1.052, 1.024 looks quite high for an FG. I can't believe that it is done fermenting.

Even though it's been in the primary for a decent amount if time, I can't help but think that with an OG of 1.052, 1.024 looks quite high for an FG. I can't believe that it is done fermenting.

Yeah I am with you there plus with how it looks. Especially with a yeast that should be low to medium FG. I just don't know what I should do from here on out besides wait some more.

It's fine. I just had an IPA that looked different than the rest I've done and it tasted great when I transferred to secondary tonight.

Back