Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian.brewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. Today I brewed a simple blonde ale. After it was chilled, I transferred it from the brew kettle to the fermenter. It was coming out of the nose a nice golden yellow. A few hours later, it’s very dark. I’m positive the fermenter was sanitized first. I use starsan if that matters. What could be the cause of this color change? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
IMG_3312.jpg

Sometimes it looks darker in the carboy because of the volume. In the hose, a much smaller volume allows the light to pass. Or something like that. I read it on the internet.

Sometimes it looks darker in the carboy because of the volume. In the hose, a much smaller volume allows the light to pass. Or something like that. I read it on the internet.

That’s what a buddy of mine said too. Let’s hope that’s the case! Thank you for your input.

I had the same issue with a blonde ale I brewed once. My friend and I had the same theory. After cold crashing beer typically clears up as well.

I had the same issue with a blonde ale I brewed once. My friend and I had the same theory. After cold crashing beer typically clears up as well.

Did yours end up the typical golden color of a blonde or was it truly darker like that and just cleared when cold crashed? Does that make sense?

Remember in the Carboy, you're looking at a much larger volume of it together. It's just like how a beer has "different colors" depending on what glass it's in. Kinda like this photo - The beer closer to the bottom of the glass looks lighter compared to the top:

1182200652_9802.jpg

Remember in the Carboy, you're looking at a much larger volume of it together. It's just like how a beer has "different colors" depending on what glass it's in. Kinda like this photo - The beer closer to the bottom of the glass looks lighter compared to the top:

1182200652_9802.jpg

That makes sense. This is only my second 5 gallon batch so I just have some of those first time worries I guess. Just expected a golden color in the carboy and it “appears” black. Beer has a funny way of making me worry even though... it’s beer. Can’t complain!

The wort will appear darker in the carboy then it will in a glass, just volume. You should also see the color change as the trub falls out of the wort as it is sitting in the carboy. For some reason the wort appears lighter when the trub is still in suspension.

Just give it time, wait till you've got beer in your glass to decide the color is too dark.

Latest posts

Back