Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Making my first sour and kettle souring it. Boiled my wort for 2 mins then cooled to 111 and pitch lacto. Have kept it at around 105 for the last 12 hours. There has been no change in my Ph or detectable flavor change yet. I have read that in 12-24 hours it should be at 3.5ph already. Did I have a bad lacto culture or is this common? Took the white labs vial out of the fridge 5 hours before pitching as it said. Starting OG is 1.033. 50/50 wheat to 2 row. Mashed at 65C which I think is 149F.

I think the white labs pitches of lacto are low in cell count and that could be why you are seeing a rapid decrease. You may have needed to create a starter to get the quick turnaround you are anticipating.

Another word of caution about white labs and wyeast lacto pitches. Several people have experienced significant SG drops during kettle souring due to the fact that these are not pure pitches and are often contaminated with sach. I would check your SG to see if it's dropped.

I think the white labs pitches of lacto are low in cell count and that could be why you are seeing a rapid decrease. You may have needed to create a starter to get the quick turnaround you are anticipating.

Another word of caution about white labs and wyeast lacto pitches. Several people have experienced significant SG drops during kettle souring due to the fact that these are not pure pitches and are often contaminated with sach. I would check your SG to see if it's dropped.

SG has had no change at all. Still no change in Ph or flavor either. Still just taste like wort. Thought it had a bit of a funky smell earlier today but may have just been because it was first thing in the morning. Now it smells like clean wort.

Update on this anyone have any advice. Going on 18 hours. No change in Ph or SG. Still holding at 40.2C so 104F.

Go buy some mango goodbelly and pitch it in. Sooner than later.

Go buy some mango goodbelly and pitch it in. Sooner than later.

From what I can tell we don't have this in Canada. However my Ph did slightly drop now. I had some liquid get on top of the plastic food wrap im using to cover it and it was sour and had the lacto slime on it. I decided to let it run back into the main kettle. May not have been the best idea but it was sour. I'll give it 12 more hours and see where it goes from there. If it hasn't dropped yet I'll throw a handful of 2 row in. Not sure if I'll ever use the whitelabs again or just use
2 row. I couldn't blanket with CO2 so wanted a pure lacto culture. Well as pure as I thought I could get.

From what I can tell we don't have this in Canada. However my Ph did slightly drop now. I had some liquid get on top of the plastic food wrap im using to cover it and it was sour and had the lacto slime on it. I decided to let it run back into the main kettle. May not have been the best idea but it was sour. I'll give it 12 more hours and see where it goes from there. If it hasn't dropped yet I'll throw a handful of 2 row in. Not sure if I'll ever use the whitelabs again or just use
2 row. I couldn't blanket with CO2 so wanted a pure lacto culture. Well as pure as I thought I could get.

That's a bummer on not having it in Canada. I've had far better luck with it than any of the commercial pitches for kettle souring. I'd try to find something similar or maybe just order some for your future kettle souring ventures.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back