Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the good news is that it isn't mold. The bad news is that you have an infection, probably lactobacillus. Draw a sample below the surface and taste. If it tastes good, you can rack to go to bottles or kegs but you'll want to drink this up quickly.

Any idea where you skimped or missed a cleaning, so we may learn from your mistake?

Great photo!

Usually, someone asks, "Is this infected?" and they show a picture that looks like it was taken with a 1968 polaroid camera through the periscope of a submarine during an emergency dive. Uh yeah, your beer looks like crap because your picture is crap.

But your beer looks like crap because we can actually SEE the problem. Be proud of your photography skills regardless of the beer. You can always make more beer.

Yeah we're gonna bake it it out. Would it also work to boil it?

Back to the beer itself. I am familiar with lactobacillus and it's effect. I have just never saw it actually. I had a sour from New Belgium I really enjoyed, but I don't remember what it was called.

I have never intentionally soured a beer, let a lone soured an IPA. Should I just let it run its course and see what it comes out like? And if so what steps would i take? I'm not afraid of new things even if they are a mistake! I might as well dump it later rather than sooner the way I look at it!

Sour IPA doesn't sound that awesome. Never know

Yes you can pump boiling water through it for a while to sanitize it but for a solid sterilization autoclave/pressure cook at @ 121C for 20min or do the dry heat via oven for like 3 hours at 171C

Back